SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

network cable connection to Observatory

Merlin66

Ok I'm almost finished the re-build of the TSO (Tin Shed Observatory) it's about 20mtr from the house.

The power lines are useless to use as a method of connection, so I was going to get a length of network cable (Cat5?) to connect the ol' Acer in the Obs. to the Dell in the office.

Is 20 mtr OK for network cable? I think so?

Shouldn't be a problem. We've got 10m runs from the wall port to the PCs on some desks at work, and then you have the run from the wall port to the switches in the server room which can be a good 50- 70m run

Yup, because of the design of the house we have some 35m+ cable runs at home and everything works fine. AFAIR the maximum length for a 100baseT cable run is 100m.

James

If it helps, I've just fitted a 30mtr run of cheap and nasty pre-made network cable to my obs, it works just fine. Tried and tried to get wireless to work but it just wasn't going to happen even though the straight line distance is only ~15mtrs.

Wireless can be difficult I've found. It doesn't seem to obey any sort of logic. It's very critical of things in the path. Strangely I'm using a wireless laptop ATM at the opposite end of the house from the router and it works fine. But other times I've had problems, even quite close by. At least a cable is reliable.

ethernet connections can now run 10Gig upto 100m so I think you will be safe with yours.

I would suggest using a 1Gig link between the Observatory and the house, Gig network switches are cheap as chips these days, and it means there are no worries with multiple machines running over it,and you know you'll want it when moving any really large files across it, also may I suggest running more than one cable, you never know when you may one-day go planting or digging in the garden, you certainly don't want to sever the connection.

As an addition if you are using ethernet, it is very easy to run Power over ethernet to the observatory, it runs at 48V @ 15.4 W, enough to regulate down to run a few odds and ends in there.

TeamViewer looks good :) I have worked with computers for years including several on a home LAN but never yet controlled one from another except for transferring files across. But I shall want to do this with my obsy.

During the limited trials this afternoon, its like sitting out next to the laptop duing the usual PHD/ AA5 / CdC stuff - but from the comfort(?) of the office. Seemed to work 100% for me.

Does that still work across varying platforms ie XP/ Vista/ Win 7???

Well we use that at work to RDC into Server 2003 and 2008, and my Vista PC can connect to an XP machine so I guess the answer is yes :)

If you need cross-platform then VNC is the ideal candidate

Archived