SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Favourite space music?

Ursa Major

Hello all,

I have just watched Apollo 13 for the first time and loved it. I thought the music from it was great. I am listening to it as I am writing this and I have Goosebumps all over me.

What is your favourite space music?

I was thinking of making a playlist to listen to while observing.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after watching the Horizon special on the Space Shuttle a couple of months back, the song 'Southern Cross' by Crosby Stills and Nash has become known as The Space Shuttle song by my 4 year old twins, as one of the astronauts talks about playing it on a tape up there on a mission whilst looking at the Southern Cross, so although I don't really play it whilst observing it always makes me think of space.

Music to the film Space Odessey 2001 " Thus Spake Zarathustra" Richard Strauss, and the Plantets, Gustav Holst.

Agreed - excellent soundtrack.

Failing that, depends on the mood. Can't beat a bit of Orb / Orbital / Tangerine Dream sometimes; at other times I am quite happy with whatever Classic FM have on.

Pink Floyd gets my vote - Echoes followed by the whole of Dark side of the Moon, then Shine on you crazy Diamond, followed by everything else they ever recorded except The Final Cut.

Oh, and Tangerine Dream Rubicon.

Though I don't listen to music when I observe, (....can't hear the scope's diagonal scraping across the tripod legs if the Ipod is on) when I'm on Stellarium preparing for a nights viewing, I do like to play David Bowie (Life on Mars, Loving the Alien, Starman and Space Oddity etc) or even Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene (showing my age now) for that expansive feel that we all get when we look up.

James

To me this just sends me soaring through the skies when i look up...3 peices that send shivers down my spine (yes im abit of a hippy haha of course pink floydd is awesome but these just seem to hit the nail on the head for me)

YouTube - Denez Prigent & Lisa Gerrard - Gortoz A Ran - The New World

(bear with it for full duration...its like a story of discovery and it has an eerie calling to it too!)

i was acctually going to make a video of users pictures and put this music to it...but i was worried of causing upset so didnt bother lol

also i have albums and albums of other normal music from classical to Brian Eno (for all mankind)...all awesome too.

cliff martinez' soundtrack to the solaris remake, anything ryuuichi sakamoto has done with christian fennesz or alva noto, taylor duepree.

but not actually while observing. the dark makes me jump enough as it is.

Archived