SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is? weather balloon?

Madhatter

I came in late tonight and the skys outside were really nice, i didnt setup my telescope as i really must sleep but i just looked at the stars with the naked eye.

A couple of days back i learnt my cheap digital camera can do 15/30/60 second long exsposures, i thought tonight id take a quick 30sec photo to see the differance in the coulors of the stars.

When uploading to my computer i noticed a green star? but the strange thing is there seems to be no trail..a satillite was due overhead a few mins before the photo taken, but if this was a satellite would it not also have a trail?.

There dosent seem to be any trail at all. There does however seem to be a tail.

here is a couple of photos taken at 3.15am,i have had to try and zoom in abit because the photo is much bigger and keeps on getting scaled down losing the green coulor. Any idea what this is?.

post-25886-13387760475_thumb.jpg

post-25886-133877604756_thumb.jpg

Occam's razor - "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one."

I see what you mean....

I'm no expert on CCD chips but it could be dust etc..

Or might be a high orbit satellite?

Just spit-balling now...;)

Michael

I just had to explore "Occam's Razor" as I had never heard of the phrase - as ever Wikipedia came to the rescue with the following:-

Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You learn something every day!!

Robin

I dont really understand hot pixels, but im guessing its a miscoulored pixel. What i thought was strange is the tail, it almost appears to be some kind of solar panel and a different coulor , could a pixel gone wrong do do that?

Hi andy, we have never seen anything like this in any of our pictures before this one, and have taken plenty since and not seen a thing out of place.

Very interesting Si W, so there is satellites up there that stay in the same place? never knew that:)

Has anyone seen any other close up pictures of pixels that are playing up? theres a deffinate tail there, question is could a bad pixel make it?.

Very interesting Si W, so there is satellites up there that stay in the same place? never knew that:)

Yes Madhatter, there are satellites that from are prospective stay still, the geostationary satellites orbit the earth in exactly 24 hour, and with the earth going round on it's axis every 24 hours it would seem not to move, but if you was in space you would see the earth rotate and the satellites would follow it, and be above the same place on the planet, but because the satellites is moving with the earth from the suns propective the angle of it's solarpanels would shift, so the light would be seen at differing brightness and different angles. From an earth bound observer the brightness would change, a good example is the satellites that provides Sky TV, if it wasn't a geostationary satellites the satellites dish on people house's would have to move to track the satellite :).

Edit: I wonder, could that bit sticking out of the bottom of your first image be a solarpanel ?, it does beg the question.

Archived