Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKYWATCHER EXPLORER 200mm EQ5

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a skywatcher 200p dob at the end of May, but have just seen a explorer 200 on eq5 for sale on the dreaded ebay. Is this a decent alternative and also what should I look out for if I go and view this item. I havnt owned a scope before so would be unsure what to look out for in a second hand scope.

Thanks

Tim

Well its a decent alternative in as much its the same scope but on a different mount.

What I would warn about is the possible wobbliness of a big scope like this on an EQ5 mount, its possibly abit too much for it. I have a 200p on a HEQ5, which is a heavier duty mount to the EQ5, and I still notice wobbles and vibration.

With the dob you wouldn't get that, they are so stable.

Dobs make good starter scopes, easy to drive ;)

Barry

I cant comment for the scope itself but please, not everyone on ebay is dodgy. If you have any doubts then send a question, ask why theyre selling it etc, ask for pics of the mirrors, any damage etc.

as long a theres not any marks or scratches on the mirrors youre good to go i think. ask if theres been any damage. as someone above said, the mount could be up the creek but thats doubtful. too much cynicism these days!

imho, it looks fine. a private seller, no outlandish claims, a pic, a detailed list of accessories. thos if that really is a heavy duty eq5 mount, HEQ5 rather than EQ5, the price will rise alot higher than 250.

Definitely not an HEQ5 mount. Price new for this set up from FLO is £409 and if you were assuming a resell value of say 65-70% then I would not bid any higher than £270-£280.

It's an auction and anything that is cheaper than the actual retail price might seem a bargain but you have no evidence of its condition and of course there are no guarantees with this possible purchase. I guess there will be plenty bidding on it at the last minute so set your own price of what you want to pay for it and stick to it - so easy to get seduced by the rush.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Clear skies

James

The vendor has used the small dovetail which will not help in reducing any wobbles of the OTA. The mount is an EQ5 - no doubt about that, and as James has mentioned you need to take in to account that there would be no warranty with buying second hand in a private sale (not that there is much to go wrong with these scopes)

To be fair, no scope likes the wind, and the larger the tube the more it is affected. Guys at SG6 with HEQ5's were affected just as much as us with EQ5s. The 200P on an EQ5 is not as borderline IMO as people make out.

Well to be far in the book sold as a pair so I say thay done the homework on the explorer 200 with the eq5,

I was thinking payload capacity on eq5 approx 9 or 10 kg

explorer 200 about the same as I have not look it up

I still be happy with that setup and I can see lots of wow post coming in when he get to use it.

think ill have to agree with malc-c the 200p on an eq5 should be fine except in strong winds, I have a 250pds on and eq5 i know that really is pushing the mount but seems to work fine as i say assuming not windy. you should be able to get some great images with that setup. good luck

Paul

Archived