Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Modify eos 40d or not?

chouet

Go ahead, do it!

I was also a bit scared of this a few months ago. So I first tried to modify my old nikon d50. It was successful and even though it was a pain to focus without live view, it blew my fears away, so shortly after that, I bought a Canon 500d of mpb which was easy to modify.

Now I have bought an IR pass filter from ebay, and still use the old Nikon for daytime infrared photography, breathing a new life in that old Dslr.

The 300D doesn't have LiveView, so focusing after the mod without clear glass inserted will be tricky:

Autofocus will be wrong, the view through the eye-level finder will be wrong, so you will have to take star shots at high ISO, adjusting focus until you get best result.

Not sure how much the correct thickness optical glass slip will cost, but I'd guess more than the 300D is worth.

Michael

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

The 300D doesn't have LiveView, so focusing after the mod without clear glass inserted will be tricky:

Autofocus will be wrong, the view through the eye-level finder will be wrong, so you will have to take star shots at high ISO, adjusting focus until you get best result.

Not sure how much the correct thickness optical glass slip will cost, but I'd guess more than the 300D is worth.

Michael

Good point about the focus. From what I've found online about the glass thickness, it's 2.7mm. Might be able to find a watch/ clock glass that's a suitable thickness and I know a couple of people that can trim it to size.

And the other good point is that the 300d is practically worthless hence the possible  DIY route.

6 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Good point about the focus. From what I've found online about the glass thickness, it's 2.7mm. Might be able to find a watch/ clock glass that's a suitable thickness and I know a couple of people that can trim it to size.

And the other good point is that the 300d is practically worthless hence the possible  DIY route.

The 300d also can’t do long exposures without a serial port cable. It will be limited to 30s. 

If you look on eBay you’ll find even the 40d can be got for very little. My current 40d was £39 delivered. There was a bent pin inside with the card slot.  It works 100% now.  But even with a fault memory card slot, images are stored directly on the pc.

I had a 300d, and I modified it with the Baader glass.  Decent camera but old old now. 

• Like 1