Narrowband

Looking to get some binoculars to use for astronomy and my other hobby of arcraft, airshows etc.

Just not sure what size to get i'm thinking something along the lines of 10x70 - 20x70.

Lots of this make on the "bay" don't know what you think but at the prices they give....not very good?..SAKURA

Any help would be great:icon_salut:

Any 70mm binocular is going to be a bit on the heavy side, of the two the 10x70 would be great for astronomy and you might just manage for and holding for aircraft spotting. The 20x70's would definitely need a tripod.

never heard of sakura but then i tend to stick to certain brands, helios, opticron etc

meade make good telescopes, not sure on the bins tho

whats your budget? have you had a look to see what FLO has?

10x50s are usually thought to be the best binoculars for handheld astronomy use.

At the £30-£35 price point I would recommend either the Strathspeys (think you need to add VAT to the prices on the website)

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/

or the Meades that Telescope House sell (they're currently sold as part of a starter pack)

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Stargazers_10x50_Binoculars_Starter_Pack.html

I have the Meades and some larger Strathspeys. Both great. I think spending less than £30 may be a false economy.

If you have more money look at the Opticrons on FLO.

Tim

8x50s, 10x50s, 15x70s and i like the look of opticrons 15x80s.

like a lot of things in this field, you get what you pay for but as general rule (aswell as the above)

BAK4 porroprism and multicoated

you will not go wrong with bins holding those specs

edit - you may find this section useful too

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/

dont forget the first thread "links"

Pretty certain those are the same as the telescope house ones I mentioned. Difficult to be certain though. If they are they're excellent cheap bins.

put a bid on them now, if there as good as there scopes then all is well

Dave, you know these are the same as the Lidl ones that come up now and again for about £15.00. Must have about 6 pairs around the house all ready for bird watching (...I don't mean her next door!:o) If your bidding is not successful might be worth considering. The moment you buy a decent pair you'll only drop/stand on/scratch/lose them - never happens to cheap kit.;)

James

I also have the revelation 15x70s. They are an excellent buy. From all reports, the Celestrons are slightly (and only slightly) better. You wouldn't know the difference. Go for the cheapest between these two.

They'll be more useful for Aircraft than Astronomy because until you know the sky a little, you won't be able to find anything at that magnification. 7 x 50s are better; naked eye better still. :-)

Steve

Archived