Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-watcher Skyliner 250PX Flex Tube Auto Dob - building & first light

Appreciate there are a few of these but though I would share as well :o

Ordered the dob on Tuesday 10th from Astronomia, Dorking. They had been very patient why I spent ages making my mind up, then changing it, then making it, then changing it ... you get the picture and they very kindly gave me a decent trade in on my old NexStar 4SE.

(Thanks to all for your helpful advice!)

The scope was due to arrive on Friday, but a nice surprise was had on the Wednesday when I got a call to advise the scope and my new Baader laser collimator were both in stock :o

Picked it all up, took it home and then watched the clouds roll in ... new scope curse. So I left it alone until yesterday.

The scope comes in 2 boxes, as reported by most people. Once opened and checked you end up with the following:

post-26001-13387760404_thumb.jpg

post-26001-133877604053_thumb.jpg

Build process is relatively easy, take your time and follow the instructions, and you will be rewarded with this:

post-26001-133877604058_thumb.jpg (Love the moon in the distance).

The scope comes with a tea cozy, not sure if this existed on earliers models and I know several people have commented on the need for 2 covers - maybe this is Skywatchers answer?

post-26001-133877604063_thumb.jpg

The finished article looks like this:

post-26001-133877604066_thumb.jpg

The view finder was very out of focus, but was easily rectified and the collimation was off by a fair bit.

It was quite dewy by this point and a faint haze in the sky. Now comes an error on a massive part ... I forget to pick up any batteries ;) ... new scope, no batteries so was left to nudge it a bit but with the motor it was quite difficult to line up, etc.

I still had a good look at the moon and Saturn. Even got out my new SPC900 and managed some webcam work. (Would have uploaded a capture but not sure of the best software to convert the AVI to something more usable - any recommendations?)

Build is nice, tube and mount are quite heavy, certainly not an easy lift though.

Gets a big thumbs up from me :D

post-26001-133877604034_thumb.jpg

post-26001-133877604046_thumb.jpg

A word of warning to those buying this scope!

When picking it up as a completed setup, with the tube retracted, make sure you only stand on the side with the eyepiece holder. I didn't and my lovely knew tube has a stupid little dent where the bottom of the outside truss got pushed inwards by my leg/thigh/stomach.

A real PITA !!! ARGH !!! :eek:

Nice looking scope :eek:

Know what you mean about forgetting the batteries. I remember buying my first CD player with my first proper wage packet, after training. Got it back to my room in the block and hooked it all up. Shouted round to my mates to come and see the wonder of technology and was feeling very pleased with myself, until someone said 'go on then and play a CD'.

Oh ;)

A word of warning to those buying this scope!

When picking it up as a completed setup, with the tube retracted, make sure you only stand on the side with the eyepiece holder. I didn't and my lovely knew tube has a stupid little dent where the bottom of the outside truss got pushed inwards by my leg/thigh/stomach.

A real PITA !!! ARGH !!! ;)

I think a lot of people have done that. I noticed two on Ebay had that dent. And the one i bought has the same dent. :eek:

• 1 month later...

Archived