SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW 200P on EQ5 Pro - Ok?

Alkaid

Hi All,

With regard to the recent threads about telescopes and mounts being sold as packages, in the fact that most mounts sold with scopes are just about ok handling the weight of the OTA.

I am thinking of getting the SW 200P with EQ5 Pro Synscan.

Does anyone have this combination as I would welcome comments from existing users with regard to the EQ5 mount handling this weight. I know that the EQ5 is stated at taking 9Kg, I think that the 200P or PDS is just under this. Do the two work well together for visual use? Or is the set up a little shaky? When the OTA is balanced does the synscan work well?

Off course, if I had the cash I would just get the HEQ5 Pro option - but I also have to pay the bills and feed the family ;)

Many thanks Steve

I would suggest waiting and saving up for the better mount. The mounts sold with telescopes seem to be only just up to the job and not really that if you want to do imaging/astrophotography. If you think you might want to do imaging I would definitely recommend waiting until you can afford a decent mount.

I think the rule of thumb is to not load the mount with any more than about 2/3rds of its capacity.

It may well be fine for visual use, if that's what you want to stick too. But a word of warning if you want to start imaging - you may find it a little unstable. Remmebr if you want to image you will need to factor in the weight of a camera. If you get really serious about imaging you may also end up with a second scope, second camera......it can go on. Of course if you dont want to image then ignore the above ;)

You could probably pick up a second hand HEQ5 and then buy the scope separately from FLO?

You could also save money by going down the syntrek route and using EQMOD and ASCOM to give GoTo and computer control?

HTH

Hi Steve.

A very loud YES and 'I second that' to Gina's comments.

Your only complication, when buying new, is that often the price for a scope & default/offered mount is a lot less than buying separately. Probably some haggling will be needed.

Another view of mine is that you buy ther biggest/best/heaviest mount that your wallet (and back) can stand. This gives you more flexibility in the future on scope types, or even scope combinations. I have had my monster D6 loaded with two big OTAs several times!

David.

AFAIK, the "limit" of an EQ5 is approx 9Kg. According to the SkyWatcher site the 200 with dual-speed crawford focuser is 8.75Kg. Add to that the weight of dovetail + tube rings and you're pretty much on/over the limit. For visual work this should be OK. If clearance allows, leave the tripod legs as fully retracted as possible - the more extended they are, the higher the centre of gravity becomes, making the whole setup less stable.

I've got the 200 P & EQ5 - not a problem for viewing.

I bought mine - just really to see if I enjoyed the whole astronomy / astrophotography game.

Will update to a HEQ5 after the summer hols ................

I have a 200P on an EQ5 pro goto mount - it does the job just fine, even with a Canon 400D body attached. It's fine IMO for visual and basic astrophotography, by that I mean using a web cam for planets and a dSLR at prime focus for brighter DSO's

M42bw.png

If on the other hand you are looking at serious imaging, using a guide scope then I have to agree that the HEQ5 or EQ6 is the better option, but then you have to factor in the cost difference. I paid £660 for my scope in February this year, the HEQ5 version was another £400 which was out of my price range, and like Scarlet, wasn't sure if I was really going to get into this game again after a 25 year break so didn't want to overstretch my finances.

Now my personal circumstances have changed and allowed me to start the process of building my own observatory, and if the funds permit I'm looking at getting an HEQ5 to sit my 200P on as I want to try my hand at doing some serial imaging with my dSLR.

i use the same set up and yeah its hard to sometimes get some decent images (just look at my albums for proof of that! lol ) but if thats all u can afford and its only for visual i would say its fine,its a nice set up and pretty easy to move to a dark site if u have to(i have to).

Your only complication, when buying new, is that often the price for a scope & default/offered mount is a lot less than buying separately.

Not at FLO. The price quoted for this scope as OTA (275) + the price of either mount (486 and 747) are identical to the price of buying the 'set' (761 and 1022).

The 200P is fine on an EQ5 Pro for visual use. A dob would give you more aperture for your money, but nudging insn't to everyone's taste. The motors on the EQ5 mean that the objects stay centred in the EP and you can you can observe for longer.

Thank you everyone. I don't want a Dob, the point of the synscan is that it will save me time (I don't get much!).

And AS is not something I am into at present, I just like using the old eyes.

Looks like the EQ5 Pro will do the job visually.

Thanks Steve

I have literally (this week) just bought the SW200p and EQ5 mount with the Synscan GOTO, all balanced up ready to go ))))..Will let you know how it goes if this cloud ever goes away this weekend.

Chris

Archived