Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6820

johnrt

I have decided to take a leaf out of Catatonia's book and make the progression from trying to image everything I can get from my back garden, to spending some serious time on individual targets.

The more seasoned approach, if you will?

So here is my first effort and my first image on here for some time.

The details are;

x7 20 min Ha, x9 20 min OIII & x 10 20 min SII combined & processed in Pixinsight, to make a total imaging time of 8 hours 40 mins.

Camera - Atik 314l+ (imaging) QHY5 (guiding)

Scope - Megrez 72 (imaging) ST80 (guiding)

Filters - Astronomik 12nm n/b filters

Mount - HEQ5 on home built pier

Guiding in Maxim DL5

5715512724_9425612938_b.jpg

and secondly a crop of the central nebula area

5714961577_b731254b13_z.jpg

There is very little signal in anything other than Ha, but being able to make 20 min subs certainly helps pull out what little there was.

Thank you for looking!

Nice one John, didn't know I had such an effect ;)

8+ hours, way to go and it is really showing in the quality of the image. Lovely details and great stuff going on there with cracking 20min subs.

I have never done NB imaging other than Ha, so will bow to Peters expert advice on this one with regards to channels and exposure.

Yeah, we took a vote. You're in charge now. :o

I came at imaging from the other direction n/b then rgb so I'm much more used to this kind of imaging.

Spending much more time on single targets on n/b (especially OIII & SII) is the way to go. I was thinking maybe another night on each channel giving another 6/7 hours.

Nice one John, didn't know I had such an effect ;)

8+ hours, way to go and it is really showing in the quality of the image. Lovely details and great stuff going on there with cracking 20min subs.

I have never done NB imaging other than Ha, so will bow to Peters expert advice on this one with regards to channels and exposure.

This is an interesting target, one Ive waited for to appear in over 12 months, I have however just started NGC 6888 in narrow band and tonight I started the SII run, having done 2 hours of Ha, how disappointed I am with the quality of SII ... I guess from advise I have been given is you just have to keep adding and adding before you see 'the light'

hold tight and push forward... we have the same camera, I'll look forward to the results ;)

The SII is a killer on most targets, the only targets I've imaged with decent signal have been the wall in ngc 7000 & the rosette. Before I've made do with a single run and the fact there's not much there, framing can bs difficult too on multiple night runs with the smallish chip.

SII is elusive but it is worth collecting as much as you can. Seeing these 20 minute exposures in Ha becoming almost the norm, I'm going to have to up my exposure times as I tend to stop at 10 minute subs maximum.

So many things to try, so little time available, we must all be nuts ...... or is it just me?

No, we're clearly all as daft as a brush.

SII is elusive but it is worth collecting as much as you can. Seeing these 20 minute exposures in Ha becoming almost the norm, I'm going to have to up my exposure times as I tend to stop at 10 minute subs maximum.

So many things to try, so little time available, we must all be nuts ...... or is it just me?

Archived