SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Time to to sell up ?

vlebo

Hi everyone

I would value your opinions with a dilemma I have.

I am in the process of reassessing how to continue my Astronomy hobby and being able tro get some decent nights viewing in. My neighbour has put up a security light after his daughter keeps having nightmares about someone being outside her bedroom window , and the fact that there are 4 cat owners around me means the light is constantly going on and off.

So I am thinking of getting rid of my current gear ( see sig ) and getting a large pair of Bino's

First Light Optics - Quantum 7.4 25x100 binoculars

which I would then be free to take anywhere I want ( plenty of good dark sites near me ) and get some observing in.

I realise Binos are not as versatile as Telescopes but given the amount of time my scopes are actualy used it is hard to justify keeping them. I think I would use the Bino's more as they seem to be more portable and the views , I assume , would still be good from a dark site.

Does anyone have any experience of said Binos as any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vlebo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats a shame to hear that your thinking about selling up i done the same last early last year because of the same thing not being able to veiw often enough but i regreted a few months later i had no veiwing equipment at all not long been back in the hobby due to finace issues but im so glad im back in the club now. but good luck what ever way you go. have you tried talking to your neighbour about the light?

Some folk on here have mentioned putting blackout curtains up on washing lines to help with the local light issue. Can you not take your telescope to the darker sites?

I love my bins but I wouldn't be without my scope now, don't give up!

If your neighbour's light is stopping you from peacefully using your property...then it's illegal. If it lights up your garden then you can ask nicely but then use the council and police if there's no joy.

Not sure how a night light would help his daughter if it's off and only a security light. If cats set it off surely that's going to terrify her more as she'll think someone's coming to get her. ;)

It seems churlish to say (being single) but is there a possibility of a housemove? Stupid, maybe, but we only (according to Richard Dawkins) walk this way once! Such a shame that we ALL depend on the foibles (neuroses!) of neighbours. ;)

My neighbours have actually been quite GOOD TO ME. Getting rid of high powered security lighting... casual garden lighting etc. I'm not good at "asking people", but in fairness, compromises have been reached!. The (somewhat fraudulent) "little boy lost" works for me... :o

they look fine to me, If thats what it needs to keep you doing something you love, then I say go for it. I only have a nexstar 5 so I miss out on a lot of the faint fuzzies, but there's still enough beautiful things out there to marvel at and make me think.

I know my neighbour quite well and am aware his daughter has a few issues so I do not really want to upset him more than he already is. He is after all just trying to help her on her way.

I think the real problem lies with me , as when I do get the opportunity to set up I invariably grab my 20x80 binos and tend to leave my scopes alone. I was toying with the idea of selling my two scopes an getting a 16" dob but methinks that would get even less use than my 2 scopes.

I feel my enthusiasm has slightly waned over the last year and so I am just looking for excuses to scale it all down while still being able to get the odd look - in when I can.

Thanks for your replies

Vlebo

Even in bad LP planetary observing is possible, maybe that is a possibility? I agree the neighbours should adapt their lighting so it does not impact you. Surely a night light in the girl's bedroom would be enough, and save some money too?

Hey ho matey, have you considered having a chat with your nieghbour and asking if he would turn the light off whilst you want to observe? it may be worth suggesting that he could explain to his daughter that whilst you're outside you will be able to keep an eye out for anyone sneaking about. Perhaps also suggest that if he agrees to this he could put the external light on a timer set for when you are due to wrap up an observing evening. I've always found that selling something off is usually regretted afterwards, even if it's something that hasn't been used for months, the day after it's gone I've found a need for it.

In your position, I wouldn't sell up. Your situation is temporary and the little girl next door may stop being scared of bogiemen in a year or so. Like others have suggested, you'll likely regret letting go of your kit quite soon after.

i have a feeling...even if your back garden was in total darkness...you seem abit 'bored' (might not be the correct word) of the setting up the gear, i have a feeling you have already made your mind up ;)

what i would say is, see if there is any other astronomers locally that you could buddy up with to pass comments while observing and i think it may relight that fire (and share views through scopes)....if not then Enjoy the Bino's!

(honest) Axe :o

i have a feeling...even if your back garden was in total darkness...you seem abit 'bored' (might not be the correct word) of the setting up the gear, i have a feeling you have already made your mind up :o

what i would say is, see if there is any other astronomers locally that you could buddy up with to pass comments while observing and i think it may relight that fire (and share views through scopes)....if not then Enjoy the Bino's!

(honest) Axe :D

You may be right ;)

In your position, I wouldn't sell up. Your situation is temporary and the little girl next door may stop being scared of bogiemen in a year or so. Like others have suggested, you'll likely regret letting go of your kit quite soon after.

She is 28 ;)

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but why is a 28 year old woman affraid of bogey men? I suspect there may be a valid reason such as a learning difficulty, if that is not the case then tell your neighbour, politley, to get a grip and stop faffing about!

She is 28 ;)
Uhm, what is the MATTER with today's adults? Sympathetic, but how do they EVER live autonomous lives? As a onetime obsessive (two) CAT owner, I'd never have left my own, precious felines, outside ALL night either, but... :o

I would have thought knowing you were on watch would make her feel more secure. A pity his security light wasn't the type with a remote control you could have used when necessary.

The girl is obviously of a pretty nervous disposition, and every consideration must be granted her. Careful handling of the situation is a must.

It's a shame you may go with binos alone, good as they are, they can't compete with a 12" objective.

I hope a solution can be worked out.

Ron.

it may be worth suggesting that he could explain to his daughter that whilst you're outside you will be able to keep an eye out for anyone sneaking about.

Now this sounds like a good plan to me...........Ed.

Could you ask about them fitting a timer, so after she is sleeping the lights stay off. Laurel also grows very quickly and is very good at blocking my light issue. After speaking to my neighbor about his light he was happier knowing I was out there at all hours, as he said, I'm a bit more effective as a deterrent than a security light.

barkis is right. I didn't realise she's 28! I thought of a toddler etc so this lady must be a bit poorly. She needs to be given a break by the sounds of it.

Not a good situation.

To echo others...me being in the garden is far more of a deterrent than lights so asking my neigbours to quit with the illumination of my garden has been ok.

Good luck fella...I hope it works out.

Rather than sell up how about putting the scopes away for a while?

I used to play the guitar, a lot, but a few years ago decided to sell off all my electric guitars and just keep an acoustic (or two, okay there's a mandolin in there somewhere as well). Point is that I regret selling all my old kit :o

Regarding the light, why not invite your neighbour and his daughter round for an observing session? It's a ploy that has worked for others ;)

Don't know where you are located but have a look around for a club or two and see what they do in the way of observing.

Sometimes a club will meet at monthly intervals, possibly they could have a suitable site where they are based where obseerving could be more frequent.

Perhaps a club would like someone to organise a bit more observing for the members and even occasional public viewing - something you may consider stepping into, or offering help.

Sorry to hear your of your situation and I would also suggest you don't sell your gear, you have taken time and money to get it right for your needs, it would be like selling a friend.

The security light could be a "sticking plaster" and may help in the short term, but if this girl has serious problems she may need professional help.

I hope you find a solution to the problem.

This story just reminds me how much I HATE my neighours, they're such selfish people and the council don't care. Haven't used my scope for 18 months and I'm just biting my tongue until I emigrate from this overpopulated island.

What an unhappy situation! I would say, be very wary of confronting the neighbour directly about his daughter's supposed mental state (I'm sure you wouldn't anyway). Night panic attacks - which appear to be the issue here - are surprisingly common and there are many different underlying causes. But the fact that the daughter is still living with parents, at an age when most young people would be seeking an independent life, suggests that one has to tread carefully...

Loss of motivation because of LP ... tell me all about it. I really don't know the cure: my case is far better than yours but I suffer from it too! We went to a lot of trouble to select a pied-a-terre in a nice dark French village. At time of buying, I noted how the street lighting was of poor quality and unlikely to cause problems. But a new mayor took over and noticed that it was in poor condition too - and he got it sorted! Don't get me wrong - the mayor is a really decent chap and we get on well with him (allowing for the fact he doesn't speak a word of English ;)). I can't go on asking favours though...

Archived