sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

35mm Panoptic do you reckon?

Hey all,

I would like those in the know to advice me about whether the 35mm panoptic in the for sale section at the moment would be good for me.

I know the easy thing to do is say buy it buy it buy it ;)

But what about the weight, exit pupil and eye relief? Also do you think for the money it is worthwhile when I have a 24mm panoptic.

Here is my current set (its in my sig too):

24mm Panoptic

13mm Nagler

8mm Plossl

6mm BGO

Scope - Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

I got my first views of the moon with my nagler the other day. Holey MOLEY! You can get the whole disk in the view with such a high magnification!!!! Myself and family were absolutely stunned. I want to write up a report as soon as I can.

So I was wondering if a 35mm panoptic is going to give me a similar experience again, I have heard you can get many galaxies in virgo within the frame... The leo triplet blew me away in amazement.

Also worth mentioning I did not get on with the 32mm TV Plossl too well, too much eye relief causing back outs for me to be comfortable. Would this be something to bear in mind for the 35mm panoptic?

Many thanks,

Looks like an ideal eyepiece to add to your collection. Exit pupil is probably just right at under 6mm. Eye relief shouldn't be too much and I haven't heard complaints of kidney-beaning etc. with the P35. I say go for it!!

Good luck

Andrew

Edited by Andrew*

Yes I would agree that this would be a good choice.

Infact your telescope and eyepiece choice are very similar to what I have planned further down my kit acquisition list.

I got the same ep specifically for wide views of large dso's for our 300P. Reckon it's gonna rock whenever I get chance to try it. Should be the same for you - it's big and heavy though - so you might need to think about counterbalancing the tube ;)

Well thats some positive feedback, thanks guys. Majortom feel free to ask me anything if you are considering the scope ;)

What about a washed out view? I cannot normally get to a darksite regularly so I have to observe from my light polluted garden. I would hate to use and eyepiece the least after having spent the most money on it.

Hi Adam

The 35mm pan is a fantastic eyepiece.

In your scope it would give you around 34x mag, a true field of 1.8 degrees and a 5.8mm exit pupil ( which is fine ).

It would be great on star fields and open clusters ( galaxy clusters too if your skies dark enough ).

My one reservation for you is the eye relief at 24mm, This is lllooonnggg, but the eye lenses are big so you shouldn't feel the need to get up close and personal with them.

IMO you would get used to this aspect and learn to alter your observing position accordingly

It is quite a heavy beast but to be honest you'd just use a counter weight ( I do with my 31mm T5 which is a monster ).

I would add if you don't get on with it you can always sell it. Panoptics are always sort after.

Regards Steve

The large exit pupil might be an issue- most people can reach a pupil size of 6-7mm, but it tends to reduce with age. However, if you have local bright light sources (e.g. Neighbours security lights or nearby street lamps) it can be difficult to get a pupil size of much over 4mm. In this case, you'll still get the benefits of large field of view, but you're effectively using a telescope that has a much smaller aperture (i.e. Mag=34, Pupil=4mm, Effective Aperture=136mm).

I have a 35 panoptic and do find that eyeposition is important. That being said once you find your spot its very comfortable and is a great widefield eyepiece! Also it good for the veil and N.America nebula with a good O-III filter! I was out having a good view of the veil last night and even in at tal 100 F10 it still got a good chunk of it thanks to its wide AFOV.

HTH

What about a washed out view? I cannot normally get to a darksite regularly so I have to observe from my light polluted garden. I would hate to use and eyepiece the least after having spent the most money on it.

Hi Adam,

My garden sounds similar to yours with regards to light pollution and you are quite right to ask this question.

I find it is an issue with my Nagler 31mm and, unfortunately, it's not often used from my back garden for that very reason ;)

I find the 20mm Nagler is much more use.

Otherwise the 35mm Panoptic is an excellent eyepiece and a good match for your F/5.9 newtonian.