SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2nd Cumbria Star Party

Well ive spent £150 on season 5 sleeping bag, £80 quick tent (2 seconds !), £20 matt, then i bought a camp bed!

I have to come otherwise my wife will lynch me :D

Looking forward to meeting new friends and having a laugh with recent new ones...

If your sat on the fence ... just jump and bring a few beers in case it gets cloudy :p

Thats my plan, I'll bring all my gear ready for some star hunting, but if all else fails, I'll have some beer and sausages and be there for a chat and a giggle.

Kinda wish I hadn't been so wishy washy now, but I'll be heading off bright and early tomorrow.

Solved the problem of the steps to the train station, I'll use the ramp access to the newcastle bound side, catch the train three stations towards newcastle, get off at Prudhoe, swap sides, then get the Carlisle train from there.

Sounds like a faff, having this trolley, but when you consider that I'll be taking all my gear a couple of miles on foot, it makes up for the awkwardness.

I'll eventually go through the process of getting a licence and a car, but in the meantime, I'll be putting Britains public transport to the test.

And to think, if I had posted my Australian drivers licence with £40 in to the DVLA within the first twelve months of my living here, they would have posted me back a full British licence.

Wish I had done that, I really do.

Hope you guys have a good night tonight!

See you tomorrow,

Alan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The car is packed, I habve just had a shower and something to eat. So, ... packed, fed and as clean as I am gonna get.

I will bring a lappy + projector + some astro DVDs. Oh, and a few beers and some "Scottish amber fluid" in case anyone needs some (For medicinal purposes - obviously).

I will head off in about half an hour and arrive about 2.30pm.

See you all this afternoon.

Tom

About 12 of us here, weather cloudy at the moment but may cllear later. Beer now flowing, Burgers about to go on the barbeque, chilli cooking in the pot and baked spuds in the oven. We eat in an hour and if the weather forecast is correct, we then set up and are good to go.

Nice crowd here and this is gonna be fun.

Tom

NIGHT 1:

:p:D:D.... now I really understand why its called 'PARTY':evil6:

didnt turn in until 4AM ..... 8 bottles of beer and malt whiskey kindly brought south of the border by a Scottish cousins... ;)

2 meter projector screening 2012 then wonders of the solar system on in the back ground, we all were to busy belly laughing to sit watching it .... but created a wonderful atmosphere ...

Am off for a much needed afternoon noddy...... :D

NIGHT 2:

Day 2: wet start but sunny afternoon. PST and two White light scopes. Lots of prominences and filaments. Five sunspot groups as well, do good solar session.

Weather looking good for tonight, so not too much alcohol : )

Eating about 9pm, then hopefully out with the scopes.

Tom

9pm, everyone is setting their telescopes up, a real air of optimism about the place.

Booze has been drunk, politics has been discussed, we've solved the worlds problems and we are thinking about eating now.

Woohoo!

Alan

Yum... Mikes chilli , Val & Nina's half pounder beef burgers just been served... cloudy but all sat around in a big circle talking and drinking... maybe clear later... still fun.. :D

It got very cloudy about 11pm and we decided that we weren't going to get any observing at around midnight. But "Wonders of the Universe" DVD was on the screen, lots to drink and lots of laughter.

I turned in about 2.45am, as did most others. But what time did you carry on til Nina, David and Pete?

This morning I was told that poor Mike was kept awake by these "raucous Scots" and the sound of a giggling Nina. I was fast asleep and didn't hear a thing.

Thanks Nina, for organising another super Star Party.

Tom

Just got back to Brum. Six hours to get there and three to get home. So tired but so worth it even if I didn't get any viewing. Special thanks to the girls for putting this on, I saw what you did and it can't be easy so well done to you both.

The "Raucus Scots" were noisy but Dave, Pete, you two should be on stage, I'd come to another star party just for your entertainment. Nice to meet you all and already looking forward to the next one.

What a superb night last night. Granted, astronomy was unfortunately limited, but everyone checked out each others gear, learnt a bit, laughed a LOT, talked astronomy and swapped experiences.

We got a little astronomy in - Arcturus peeped through the clouds briefly along with a couple of others which remained anonymous.

Also, we had two solar white light refractors out which gave stunning detail on a massive group of sunspots, as well as the Coronado PST Tom brought which revealed an incredibly busy sun which displayed prominences around almost the entire disk.

I'm pretty sure everyone fell violently in lust with that PST. I know I silently vowed to get myself one and I don't think I was alone.

All in all, we had a damn good crowd in attendance which made the starless star party a resounding success.

I only wish I was there the previous night, apparantly there were some tattoos compared - I don't have any, but I do like a nice tattoo tastefully displayed.

Looking forward to the next one!

Alan

Back home myself too now.

Huge thanks to Nina and Val for making us all so welcome.

Whilst little astronomy was done apart from cloud spotting we did see a really impressive iridium flare on Saturday night and also enjoyed a session of sun viewing that reminded me that I must get a solar scope of my own.

A brilliant time was had by all. The abiding memory is of a great group of like minded souls who know how to enjoy cloudy nights!

Thanks again to everyone - see you all the next time.

Regards

Rob.

Hi all - back home to Perth now, had a chinese as I was a tad peckish. Thanks to NINA and VAL for being great hostesses and great company. Thanks also to everyone else for their great advice and banter :) had a great time. Oh and a special mention to the builders who decided to barricade me in my tent this morning :) with traffic cones, fencing and a ruddy big barrell - lmao

Thanks again, looking forward to the next one

David

Hahaha no worries David, wish I could take credit for the idea but I will own up to helping with one of the barricades. Haven't been near my computer yet, or I would have put the pictures up - pretty sure Pete has some as well though.

Alan

Oh and a special mention to the builders who decided to barricade me in my tent this morning :) with traffic cones, fencing and a ruddy big barrell - lmao

Thanks again, looking forward to the next one

David

You could have used every brick from Hadrians wall and it still might not have made it all the way around.

Hi All

Back home, car emptied and Jane flaked out on the sofa giving it some Zzzzz ( rather noisily I must add).

Big thanks to Nina and Val for such an awesome weekend. No stars, but I think its safe to say we all had great time, and have come away with some new friends. Already looking forward to the next one!

So my last thought of the day is "Can a car really fit in a tent????"

Cheers guys and gals

Just a few images from the weekend. Hope they look okay on the Forum.

David, I wish I had seen the "Wall" around your tent, but I was already part way home by that time.

A very enjoyable weekend - and we did see one star - OUR OWN, and with lots of sunspots and spectacular prominences - remember the "Christmas Tree" prominence?

Tom

post-12881-133877610949_thumb.jpg

post-12881-133877610952_thumb.jpg

post-12881-133877610959_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

What a belter - Thankyou. We had such a great time. I think folk use the "Lol" quite loosely but in our case we really can and did LOL.

What a great mix of people - It was rather cloudy but I was surrounded by 12 stars - our own little open cluster. Ace.

Sorry I had to leave you all a tad early, but the family were dying to get out for the day.

Can't wait till the next one.

Speak soon

Dt and Dark Val

Hehee hee WHAT a great time we had. First off thanks to Nina and Val , the two '' real stars '' of both nights :)

We saw some amazing gear, ( wife bricking it noo ) , Mikes 15 Dob, WHAT a bit of kit that is , and ingeniously modded, hats off to ya mate, you Sir , are an inspiration.

Great company, fantastic oppertunity for some Scots humour ( up too the line but never over it , I think ), the one liners were thick and fast. I am sure the laughter could have been heard in Newcastle, sorry to the other Mike ( t'was Nina , honest ,:) I was fast asleep. ) Fantastic horizons all round, can't wait too see this during the Dark Season !

Was especially nice too meet new found friends, you lot captured a bit of my heart.

A big field that had lots of horsey stuff ''available'' , way too much temptation for this Scot , sorry David but you looked waaaaaaaay too comfortable !

Methinks my liver needs a visit to The Priory , UPS have already been contacted ! Which reminds me , Terry , beer bottles should remain empty once consumed, that cost ya a cooker. Jane , loved the Hilton slippers , sheer class that ! I apologise , again , for that dreadful snoring that came from David , its a medical condition , so he says . Still can't fathom out how , even when the wind had died down , that Davids bedroom was constantly billowing ( chilli ) internally:icon_scratch:, whatever it was , it certainly warmed the ambient temp':D

So looking forward to doing this again, I might even hae a wee drum next time !

You guys take care. Incriminating images to follow :hello2:

Slange

Pete

By the way I forgot to let you all know there was an electrical lead left in the barn.

It has a 3 pin socket at the end, if they are classed like the HGV suzies, it is a female.

Get in touch I will post it out to you.

See you all soon

Nina

Speak soon

Nina

So my last thought of the day is "Can a car really fit in a tent????"

In answer to your question Terry, see pics posted by Herakles, he also took a video which may be posted at some time. Apologies to Mike for keeping him awake, :) hehehe, it was PETE who snored honest :) !! What a blast this was, hoepefully next time, the skies will be more forgiving and we will get some observing in.

David

Gotta say, I was in sleeping in the same tent as Pete and David and without the least trace of ingratitude for their timesaving offer of a berth, I have to say they were about even.

The inner partitions of the tent between their berth looked like the flagwaving barricade scene from Les Miserablè.

Was good to see you got your mobile carport working there David, you never know when you will need it.

Alan

Archived