Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Never going to find a bargain in the For Sale section

MrsR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It always seems like when you are looking for something it's never there but when you don't have anything specific in mind there is loads of stuff. I guess the trick is to not want anything specific and try and sneak up on the section and hope it's not paying attention.

It always seems like when you are looking for something it's never there but when you don't have anything specific in mind there is loads of stuff. I guess the trick is to not want anything specific and try and sneak up on the section and hope it's not paying attention.

Best not to be looking for anything. Just pop in, have a look and if there is something juicy you need....act fast! No time for pondering or dithering ;)

I guarrantee it's when you're not looking for anything in particular, that's when loads of desirable stuff pops up. Or you've been waiting and waiting for a particular thing to come, it doesn't, you buy someting else, have no money and booom, up pops one or two things. Happens to me all the time.

Andy.

Try astro buy and sell

If you think bargains go fast in SGL's buy and sell section, then the speed at which they are sold on astro buy and sell will blow you away. Mainly b

Proof, if ever needed, that SGL's 50 post and 1 month membership rule does do its job.

Cheers,

Chris

Two laws affect this phenomenon:

1. The item you want will arrive in the for sale section at a bargain price immediately after you have placed an order for a one new.

2. The greater the ratio of new price/sh price, the longer it will sit in the for sale section unbought, mocking you.

I've bought a number of things on FS&W but like everyone says, you've got to act fast. There have been some things I would like to have but I've thought them overpriced, and other things which I couldn't afford.

It's nice to browse though ;)

I put a "wanted ad" for an ST80 for 3 weeks - gave up the ghost - not a sausage - so I killed the ad and got a brand new one. The day it arrived two ST80's appeared in the for sale section - sometimes that's just the way it goes - ho hum..... ;)

Two laws affect this phenomenon:

1. The item you want will arrive in the for sale section at a bargain price immediately after you have placed an order for a one new.

2. The greater the ratio of new price/sh price, the longer it will sit in the for sale section unbought, mocking you.

Exactly ;)

Andy.

Certain brands go extremely quickly - Tele Vue for example. I sold 3 Naglers on UK Astro Buy & Sell a while back in less than 30 mins :o

Whether they would go quite so quickly in the current economic climate I don't know ;)

I think the quickest i have ever reacted to an ad was 3 mins after it was placed ;)

I managed less than two minutes recently but the seller decided to sell the item to someone who came later. So much for first come first served. :o

It's happened to me on both sides of the fence. Right now I have items in the For Sale section (or AB&S) with literally no discernable interest and then again I've put things in the For Sale section (or AB&S) and had calls/emails within minutes.

And the same for buying - I narrowly missed out (by minutes) on an IDAS filter last week (thanks AndyUK for the heads up) but when I bought my HEQ5 PRO, I was just in the knick of time!

It helps if you're after something specific to let other members of SGL and friends and acquaintances know what you're after. That way, they might be able to look out for you if something comes up? Two heads are better than one, as they say...

I look at least twice a day and act VERY quickly if something I'm after comes up for sale.

Another trick is for 'for sale' or 'wanted' ads for top of the range items which are beyond your budget. If you look in the equipment list in the signature of those placing wanted ads or who post saying they have PMed a seller will sometimes find that they are upgrading an item and the item they are upgrading from is the very thing you are after. Next PM them to see if this is the case, and make an offer for the now surplus item.

I've picked up two items this way.

Archived