SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy Course

Does anybody know of a evening course in astronomy running around the Birmingham area? I live in Halesowen but the college does not run one. I have phoned and searched to no avail.;)

Thanks Matt

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt,

Sorry you are having so much trouble finding an astronomy class (something I rant about regularly!) If you were in my area, I would personally invite you to come and sit in!

I have considered videotaping my lectures and making them available to a wider audience, and some folks here on SGL have approached me about astronomy education, but nothing has come of it so far. ;)

Our semester is about to end though, so perhaps next fall we can do something like this. In the mean time, the text I use is Astronomy: Journey to the Cosmic Frontier by J. Fix. The 6th edition is out now, which means you can get a used copy of the 5th edition for a really good price (up to 80% off new price) on Amazon or similar sites. The book is an easy read, quite thorough, and well designed for self-study.

Good luck in your search!

Dan

This is running in sutton coldfield

Astronomy for Interest Sutton Coldfield at Birmingham Adult Education Service: all Astronomy for Interest courses 52521654

and have just found this in redditch which may be more use to you

Astronomy for Beginners Redditch at North East Worcestershire College: all Astronomy for Beginners courses 50416937

i doubt you will find anything before sept as the academic year is about finish and the hours for observing are going to be late because of the summer

Thanks for the info Guys. I did try and get some info about the Redditch one last year but did not have much success. The one in Sutton may be ok as I can go straight from work so that would be good. Thanks for the invite Dan but CA is a long way to go, If I ever visit I will drop you a line, I bet the views are stunning. Thanks Very Much. Matt

I've been looking into the Open University course listed above! Was going to make a thread about this later to see if anyone here has any comments!?

Sherr what was the problem with the Redditch course? I assume this was NEW college? Would be curious if this was running this year! (i live in Alcester!)

Greg

I phoned and both of the courses above are no longer running and are not in the new Prospectus. So looks like nowhere by me is running a course. Will have self-teach myself!

Thanks for looking anyway. Matt

I phoned and both of the courses above are no longer running and are not in the new Prospectus. So looks like nowhere by me is running a course. Will have self-teach myself!

Thanks for looking anyway. Matt

I guess travelling to my neck of the woods is starting to sound better all the time, eh Matt? The views are great, and we never serve American beer at the Barthland Observatory (my back patio telescope spot ;) )

Seriously, sorry you are having so much trouble. I still recommend Fix's book very highly for self-study. Very readable, interesting exercises, on-line resources - and you can do the labs right along with my own students (I'll send you lab work to do if you like! :o )

Cheers,

Dan

Sounds great Dan but I can’t afford the bus fare ;)

Ill get the book you mentioned and it would be great if you could send me some off your lab work that would be great. Ill pm you my email address. Thanks for your help. Matt

Hi Matt,

I sent you quite a packet (about 14 lab exercises) from my school email, you should have them presently.

Anyone else want some astro-lab goodness??? ;)

Dan

Hey Ad Astra, I would be so grateful if you could send me the lab exercises as I am seriously thinking about doing physics with astrophysics for university next year :o

Hi Folks!

For all who have requested it - a full packet of astronomy course materials has been sent to you from my regular hotmail account with 2.6MB compressed folder attached with two semesters of labs, activities, worksheets and study guides, plus a syllabus and other extra goodies! It took a bit of work to get it all sorted and compressed into a reasonable size -- but I think you will find it worthwhile.

This is basically the entire course - except for the instructor, naturally!

I should note here and now that as the author of all this madness, any errors you find are strictly my own. ;) Have fun with it, and let me know how you are getting on.

Dan

If you dont mind I would love to get this information pack as well. I am intending to be extending my current qualifications into the world of astronomy - so i can hopefully tie both my Computing degree together with some astronomy qualification.

I'll send you a PM anyway, and if you can email it over I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you greatly, it is people like yourself that makes this world run....helping out everyone for the pure love of the sky and knowledge!

U.

It's on the way, Urema!

I hope that you and anyone who has them to post comments or questions, suggestions for improvements. I started teaching astronomy as a physicist would (that's my background) - gravity, orbits, planetary geology, standard model of stellar evolution, etc.; and that's the way many instructors still teach it today.

But I also spent several years selling telescopes and bins - and that changed forever the way in which I taught astronomy. I listened and learned what those new to the "hobby" of astronomy wanted in a course. In a way, I realized that I could be training amateur scientists, instead of just teaching science. ;) It was the old, old, story - don't give a man a fish, teach a man to fish for himself.

In my class we study the historical development of astronomy, ('Are you as smart as an Ancient Greek' is one of my most popular lectures...:D ); and as we go along, we try our hand as the early astronomers did. We learn the sky by observing and recording what we see. The curriculum is no longer just driven by the chapters in the book, but actually driven by what is in the sky from day to day, and month to month. It is a great way to learn, and I'm convinced that that is why the class has been so popular over the years. By the time you are finished with the course, you don't just know who Galileo was, you are competent to follow in his footsteps and set up a telescope, find your target and observe, and then record what you see for your own enjoyment and the benefit of others. What a concept! :o

Have fun with it, and let me know how Y'all get on. :o

Dan

If you dont mind I would love to get this information pack as well. I am intending to be extending my current qualifications into the world of astronomy - so i can hopefully tie both my Computing degree together with some astronomy qualification.

I'll send you a PM anyway, and if you can email it over I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you greatly, it is people like yourself that makes this world run....helping out everyone for the pure love of the sky and knowledge!

U.

• 8 months later...

Hi Matt I am also looking for a course in Brum so if you do find one could you please let me know as I dont live that far from you and if anyone has any usefull advise for me id love to know as i am extreamly interested in studying astronomy many thanks to all

cheers i appreciate it there are online courses you can do through university's there are a few ads in sky at night mag studyastronomy.com is one which is done through Lancashire uni and is one i am going to try and do as its a reconised qualification by uclan and is all online but cant sign up till September so worth having a look at. do you get good views in halesowen i live in smethwick and the views are good except for the huge ring of light pollution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Think you will be better asking the question again and give information on what level of Astronomy Course you are looking for.

There are ones run by UCLAN, OU, Coursera as well as sort of introductory ones run by some astronomy clubs.

Also N, S, E, W of Brimingham.

Archived