Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57 - the accidental image

antimorris

Monday night I was just planning on playing with the setup for a few hours and then imaging M27 (Dumbbell Nebula) if all went well. I got a used Celestron Radial Guider so wanted to play with it and see how it worked in my setup and how long I could push the subs at 1280mm (I have the f/6.3 fr on the scope at the moment) ... After a little while (about an hour and a half) with no luck finding ANY stars in the OAG I realized that the prism was backwards ;) ... flipped it around and bingo - tons of stars. I then slewed to a random target that was in my very limited FOV from the backyard (I normally set up out front, but since I wasn't planning on doing more than playing I set up out back) - which happened to be M57, the Ring Nebula.

I threw on my normal sub time of 20min and the Ha filter and did a test. Nice round stars so I bumped it up another 10 min ... with 30 min subs I was starting to see the faint outer halos of M57 so I kept it going while checking my ridiculous mess of cords (REALLY need to clean that up) and playing with PHD - some clouds came by off and on, but with 30min subs even 5 min of clouds didn't completely ruin a sub although did result in some star bloating. By the end of the night it began raining on me so I quickly threw the cover on and in I came to play with the data ... to my surprise I was able to pull out the halo fairly well so my "playing" was accidentally becoming an image (oops!) thanks to the rain I didn't get any flats, so made a false flat and saved the result. Never did get to my intended actual imaging target: M27, but oh well.

Last night I decided since I had half an image I would grab some more data as I played with an additional addition to the setup - my piggybacked Nikon D40. I just wanted to see if I could run it concurrent with my normal imaging for possible later widefields. I didn't spend as long as I normally do on focus, as I was planning on fine-tuning the focus after a few subs on the Nikon to see if tracking was going ok with the additional weight. Unfortunately I nodded off and never got around to fine-tuning the focus on the Ha channel, but it turns out it was ok. The problem came when filters changed ... definitely not the greatest focus as temperature had changed. But I did not realize until I woke up and looked at the subs. Oh well ... I process the total accidental data and here is the result.

For an image I wasn't planning, I think its ok, other than some iffy focus & clouds and resulting required additional processing steps.

What do you think? Maybe one of these days I should image this for real!

Imaging Scope: Celestron CPC800XLT @ 1280mm

Imaging Camera: Atik 314L+

Guide Camera: StarlightXpress Lodestar

Filters: Astronomik Ha, L, R, G, B

Integration details:

Ha: 7x1800s, 3x1200s = 4.5 hrs

L: 12x600s = 2 hrs

R,G,B: 12x300s, 2x2 each = 3 hrs total

Total time: 9.5 hrs

Also including a crop of just the DSO.

post-24627-133877602824_thumb.jpg

post-24627-133877603469_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
!!!!!!!!! Olly? :-) Is !!!!!!! good? LOL

Good???

It's a darned site more than just measly good. The outer haloes show real structure. Given that they are rarely seen at all this is quite an achievement. Also that little propellor shaped spiral is showing beautifully.

I never get our 10 inch out for DS imaging but you have inspired to to dust it off and have a go at this. I have always been too scared of the guiding challenges!

Olly

Archived