Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Montes Appenninus (10 May 2011)

beamer3.6m

This is my first Lunar image for some time so it took a while to get to grips with the scope and the SPC900 webcam again.

It is not bad but focus could be a little better but I noticed that the seeing was 'boiling' quite a lot last night.

Anyway, I have attached a Registrax copy and then a slightly colourised Photoshop.

Have fun

Montes Apenninus are a rugged mountain range on the northern part of the Moon's near side. They are named after the Apennine Mountains in Italy.

This range forms the southeastern border of the large Mare Imbrium lunar mare and the northwestern border of the Terra Nivium highland region. It begins just to the west of the prominent crater Eratosthenes, which abuts against the southern face of the range. To the west of these mountains is a narrow gap where Mare Imbrium in the north joins Mare Insularum to the south. Further to the west are the Montes Carpatus mountains.

From Eratosthenes, the mountains form an arcing chain that gradually bends from east to northeast, ending at Promontorium Fresnel at about latitude 29.5° N. Here is another gap where the Mare Imbrium to the west joins the Mare Serenitatis to the east. At the north end of this gap lie the Montes Caucasus.[1]

This range contains several mountains that have received names, listed below ranging from west to northeast:

The last two peaks are perhaps most famous for forming the valley where the Apollo 15 mission made its landing. This landing was considered one of the most scientifically successful missions of the Apollo program and started the last three J-Series missions that included the lunar rover and 3-day stays. Apollo 15 explored Mons Hadley Delta (δ) and Hadley Rille which winds. This was perhaps the most geologically diverse landing site of the program.[2]

Much of this range forms a sharp, rugged rise at the edge of the Mare Imbrium, with a wide expanse of foothills on the far (southeastern) face. There are, however, some rugged foothills on the northwestern side along the section of the range to the southeast of Archimedes. The total length of the range is about 600 km (370 mi), with some of the peaks rising as high as 5 km (3.1 mi).

post-13957-133877602662_thumb.png

post-13957-133877602688_thumb.png

Very informative, I really enjoyed reading this post.

I have just ordered the SPC900 webcam and an IR filter and attachment for my 1 month old telescope, will post results when I get some!!

What are the colours on the 2nd pic??

The Colours are what comes out when you increase saturation and hue.

Moonshots do sometimes appear coloured although I am not sure if this is just photography or due to some actual influence.

I thought I would try and bring it out and it worked and kinda matched up with the colours you get on a full moon pic in colour.

Archived