Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Every cloud.....

AliMac

Many years ago most of all street lighting was lit dusk to midnight, it was controlled by what was called Solar dial time switches, it was not until the advent of the PE cell control did things change and everything went dusk to dawn. As an ex lighting Eng for a very large Council IMHO there is considerable energy savings to be had by going back to the old lighting times, lets face it much of the light is wasted by the bad design of the lanterns which allows a big percentage of light to spread into the night sky, and we all know about that. I do not doubt there will be a cry for public safety, but we all managed quite well in the old days and most places now have their own security lights :D

Hopefully more councils will follow suit. I live about 8 miles from Newcastle City Centre and the light polution is still really bad. The orange glow of the city can be seen from the country so I would welcome any change. I think most of us on the forums would too.

Archived