SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1.25" v 2"

I've never used, had or even looked through a telescope equiped with a 2" eyepiece set up.

If I get myself one, (and a 2" star diagonal as well) what differances could I expect with my C8SE?

I would ask if it would be worth it too but I suspect I may be the only one who can answer that one!

I only have one 2" eyepiece, the stock 28mm Skywatcher one, but I find the rich wide field achieved with it is really striking, and much easier for me as a spectacle-wearer. For high-mag viewing I just use 1.25" eyepieces or Barlows (much cheaper, too!)

The small diameter baffle inside the C8 OTA will limit the effectiveness of 2" eyepieces so you wouldn't want to use too long a focal length. For the C8 perhaps one 2" eyepiece of about 30mm would be useful.

John

Sometimes the scope will need an adaptor to allow correct focus. My scope has this - 1.25" is fine, for 2" I have to remove a large chunk of the focuser russian doll then screw in a 63mm to 2" converter and a focal adaptor to the EP to be brought into focus (otherwise it'll be floating in thin-air!).

I, too, only have the standard SW 28mm one included with my 80mm frac. However, I love the view it gives me compared to the 1.25" Vixen 26mm plossl that came with my dad's scope. The only way I can explain it is that it feels like the difference between a normal cinema screen and IMAX; my peripheral vision is employed more with that 2" eyepiece, so I feel more immersed in what I see. With the 1.25", I realise I am looking through a telescope at something, but with the 2" 28mm, I can sometimes forget all the expensive glass and feel engulfed in a field of stars.

If that is the difference I get from a 1.25 and a cheap 2", I'd love to see what a really good 2" is like.

Archived