Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Removing a Skymax (Pro) MAK 150 corrector

Probably another statement of the obvious, but since I've finally mustered the courage! :(

As previously sussed, the OTA "Rivets" are actually round-head M2.5 hex bolts. Simply unscrew and the (weighty) corrector cell parts with the (Gold) tube. Remember to MARK the "screw to hole" correspondence to (nominally!) preserve collimation? :p

The purpose? I have LONG wanted to replace the [iMO] flimsily attached Dovetail Bar on my MAK150 with Tube Rings. The OTA seems (shortly to be proven!) to fit the SW 182mm (6" OTA) rings... Not sure the MAK 180 is similarly served though. :D

Interesting, I've not had any issues with the supplied dovetail. What problem are you hoping to solve by doing this?
None, with the MAK 150? But it seems anecdotal (purists reckon!) the MAK 180 OTA "flexes" as the scope moves around and it seems that the small M4 bolts don't provide much in the way of structural support? ;)

Personally, I'm mostly looking to ease the process of "lofting" the scope on and off the mount! I am forever, slightly anxious, about fumbling and DROPPING a dewed up (smooth) OTA. Tube rings and dovetail bars either side, give me that extra (perceived) security. :o

I have a SW 200p also, which mounts in exactly the same way. Now THAT has flexing issues! But that has twice the mass and three times the length. In comparison the Skymax seems perfectly rigid, you can rest your hand on the focuser without the view wobbling all over the place for a start.

Is this flexing an issue reported by people doing long exposure photos, tracking for 10, 15 even 20 mins?

Hey, I don't want to start no rumours. (sic). <G> Hence the word "anecdotal" in my post? From memory, the source MAY well have been discussion on CN. I remember reading the following review too: Skywatcher 180 Pro–Mak - Review.

On re-reading, it is less clear whether the specific problem, alluded to, is an individual fault or general "feature". Of consolation, I was AMAZED at the thickness of the MAK150 OTA! Indeed, makes my new TS photo-newt feel like a construct of the WRIGHT bros. Both spider and finder were so tightened, that the tube now has permanent indentations. ;)

Well you might be onto something, thinking about it from an engineering viewpoint using the wall of sheet metal tube to attach a mounting point is daft!

Tapping into the end castings is a better idea, or just use tube rings as you mentioned.

Keep us updated, interesting one.

Barry

Is there any way of getting a carry handle on one of these? The Intes M67 has a carry handle which is an essential feature in my opinion.

I'd be careful, the casing on the Intes 67 is made of much more robust stuff than the Skywatcher Maks. TBH its no hardship to carry it to the mount underarm though.

Heheh - Well, if Gavin Henson fumbles one, Gaz? The "carrying handle" envisaged is just a second dovetail bar, on the top. But STILL waiting on delivery of MAK150 rings. As far as I know, there are NO Skywatcher MAK180-sized rings anyway. ;)

Heheh - Well, if Gavin Henson fumbles one, Gaz? The "carrying handle" envisaged is just a second dovetail bar, on the top. But STILL waiting on delivery of MAK150 rings. As far as I know, there are NO Skywatcher MAK180-sized rings anyway. ;)

LOL!! Yep, thats the style I employ Mac, no fumbles yet touch wood.

The rings from a Skywatcher 8" Newt are a close fit and just need about 5mms of foam padding to fit.

Actually a friend of mine on here, his nick is : GrumpyMartian; bought a MAK180 as well, he got Orion Optics UK to make him some tube rings... You may want to try them..

Nadeem.

Well, there ya go... Tube Rings! Overexposed (sic!) a tad, maybe, but: :D

MAK150ring.jpg

In fairness, the Skywatcher (nominal) D=182mm *were* a bit tight on the MAK150 OTA! I was fairly happy to remove the felt linings! But, HEY - An "instant" carrying handle. With the previous, LONG, dovetail bar out of the way, more ROOM for my (camper mat!) dew shield, and decent thermal contact for a (previewed) heating strip? Now I also get to fix a (spare, cherished) ORION RACI finder at the balance point of the system. Perhaps even a fixing method (using an extended dovetail bar) for my cheapo, electric focusser plans... :o

Much madness, but maybe a little METHOD, occasionally? ;)

Looks the business Mac!
Heheh. Thanks Gaz. Encouragement always welcome! Now all I need do is imagine that... 7-8" F10, 1/8 lambda, "Ruski" MAK (whatever) as the prime mover? :o

Aside: Fine(?) though it is, but not sure I will ever TOTALLY appreciate a recently purchased TS 8" photo newt. Just that the MAK setup seems a lot simpler... ;)

f4 can be a lot of messing about as you know Mak, even visually. The best upgrade I got on my f4.5 Dob is the improved mirror cell, it holds the mirror solid and stops me having to recollimate every time a slight breeze gets up.;)

f4 can be a lot of messing about as you know Mak, even visually. The best upgrade I got on my f4.5 Dob is the improved mirror cell, it holds the mirror solid and stops me having to recollimate every time a slight breeze gets up.:D
Weeeell, I won't rid myself of it [the "TS"] too quickly? As you suggest, the *hardware*, of fast Newts, might bear a little "improvement" <G>? Even with dodgy collimation, things (e.g. Mizar) appeared visually spectacular tho' - Bright, anyway! Even Saturn looked intriguing... ;)

EXTREMES are fun to explore? MAKs, Fast Newts. Can't help but feel, I'd've ended up less stressed, much richer (equally as wise?) with one of THESE though! (Free sponsor plug). Repent at leisure? :o

Archived