SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Own Obsy = Billy no mates

lukebl

(sorry :p)
ROFL. Spot on! :D

Aside: I've only ever eaten out ALONE, twice, in the UK. Abroad, they seem to handle things with a TAD more subtlety. But still, one had to endure the "ceremonial" removal of extra cutlery and the folding of the (paper) table mat, to ensure no further interactions. :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! That cartoon reminded me of the time I took a mini-bus trip up Mount Teide and they stopped for dinner on the way back. I was a little late getting in the restaurant as I had to make a phone call. Instead of sitting near the group I was on a separate table well away from everyone else. No-one spoke to me throughout the meal and I have always found it quite difficult to join in to butt in on other peoples conversations, so I didn't find I could join in at all with nearby tables. Someone in the tour group turned across to me and asked me a question about the stars just before I had finished eating (as they knew from previous conversations I was interested in them), once I'd answered their question, they just turned away and carried on with their conversations. I just got up and took my obviously revolting self outside and left them to it and waited for my ride back to the resort. It's not an experience I would like to find myself in again I can tell you.

Well, I must say I have enjoyed the banter that my initial thoughts generated! Seems like there are many kindred, slightly curmudgeonly, spririts out there. And I learnt a new word: solipsism.

I have once left the routine of work and home recently, it was to get a scope from SGL6.

last Beer I had with a "Mate" was about 6 months ago....

I think i need a night out LOL.

Im looking forward to my obsy to remove setup up and trip down time. everything after those is a bonus.

Heh - sounds lke you all need a good star party... funnily enough, I know of a god one coming up... ;)

Seriously, though, I LIKE being around other people observing. I think the social aspect really helps and get into things a lot more - perhaps the competitive edge of getting through a challenge helps, too. I also really like the idea of imaging and, to get round that, am building a semi-automated setup at the moment - I can leave the imaging kit to it while I spend time observing either at home or at a local AS. Also, with lots of long exposure work, there is bound to be time when you are waiting and can either talk with other people or point the bins / grab'n'go up.

I guess I am lucky with the astro socs near me by the sounds of this. Doing the roadshow for PSP I have visited most socs in and around the Peak District and, on the whole, they have all been welcoming and friendly. There is obviously the odd exception but I would happily pop into meetings at most of them if I was in the area.

I guess it helps to be a chatterbox like me but have you considered that many poeple being "cliquey" may only appear so because they find it a bit difficult to talk to new people too? Showing interest in other people and what they are doing will usually be enough to get a conversation going; then, with a common hobby, there are bound to be plenty of things to talk about...

My 2p.

febcb4a21fd48de8144182419c6d31193cbaafb1ec7348db139f98fc89d3b1765g.jpg

(sorry ;))

OMG- thats sooo funny!

My local club times clash with other commitments and to be honest I'd like to twiddle with my own scope for a bit before I go- I feel there are levels of newbie-ness, I'd like to be a bit less of one. That said they're doing a solar obs session in June which is tempting me...

Archived