Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Exotic narrowband with M57 - Helium and Argon

riklaunim

Fighting with clouds, balcony roof and so on I've managed to get a first light out of few narrowband industry filters matching He-I, He-II and Ar-III emission lines. Target: Ring Nebula.

2jdxt2.jpg

UHC, O-III and H-a: 40-60 frames, 5 sec

He-II: 60 frames, 15 sec

Ar-III: 9 frames, 15 sec

No guiding and precise work :D

Standard version: UHC-Ha,O3,O3; DSI III Pro bin2, C11 f/10

lrgb-uhc-ha-o3-o3.jpg

HELIUM

Ha,O3,He2

rgb-ha-o3-he.jpg

UHC-Ha,O3,He2

lrgb-ha-o3-he-v2.jpglrgb-ha-o3-he-v1.jpg

H-alpha

h-alpha.jpg

O-III

o-3.jpg

He-II

hel2.jpg

Ar-III

argon3.jpg

Using the data from Spectrum Display Page it is possible to check the strength of each emission band (as showcased below, note that O-III is at different scale).

In PN oxygen usually will dominate, then N-II and or H-a. After those there is helium and even lower Ne-III and Ar-III. Depending on target He-I or He-II will be much stronger than the other (it seems so). He-I is only few nm from primary emission band of high pressure sodium lamps - so light pollution will affect it.

He-II is used by Richard Crisp Welcome to narrowbandimaging.com - much better images on his website :]

Ne-III

spec-ne3.png

Ar-III

spec-ar3.png

H-alpha and N-II

spec-ha.png

O-III

spec-o3.png

He-I

spec-he1.png

He-II

spec-he2.png

S-II

spec-s2.png

He-II is used by Richard Crisp Welcome to narrowbandimaging.com - much better images on his website :]

You're not wrong! His M42 is gobsmaking!

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/images/m42_ap155edf_f7_pl3200_cs3_s2hao3_299x90sec_svga.jpg

What's interesting in your He-II is the central star inside the nebula - is this the remnants of the original star I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived