sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Skywatcher 150p- What else do I need?

If I was starting again I would pick the following items -

1. Red headlamp.

2. Cheshire. Not a lazer one.

3. Astro Babies guide to collimation.

4. Allen key set.

5. Stellarium.

6. Lenspen.

7. SGL forum membership.

8. Dew shield - A must around here.

Not in any order just all of them. Looking back thats what I needed not what I had.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be doing photography, at least for some time. I will probably try it out without the scope and see how it goes. If I do buy one is there a specific one I should be looking for, or will they all fit my mount?

Thanks again for all of the advice!

The one you want is labelled "EQ 3-2". If you find you can live without one then that's a good thing, saves money but if money's tight and you can't it'll be a bit rubbish if you've spent it on something else.

EDIT - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-polarscope-for-eq3-2-eq5.html

Edited by Parus major

I also find the 6x30 finder scope to be a bit inaddequate, it is ok but not amazing on some targets. It doesn't mean you have to upgrade it tho, you could get something else instead that might be more useful.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I will have a look on ebay and see if they have anymore for sale and put the link on here. Ok, I just checked on ebay and looks like he doesn't have anymore but he did sell more than one so maybe you could send him an email and ask if he has anymore. He had it on special offer for a while then the price went up to £270 in p+p. So I just sent him a message and offered £240 in p+p and he said yes. It wouldn't hurt to ask

Here is his sellers page eBay My World - me_and_my_pikey He has pretty good feedback and my item arrived after 3 days, all present and correct. I haven't used it yet though!

Let me know if you have any luck. also there is one that is on quite a low price on an auction at the moment (£111) but will probably go up a lot at the last minute! here is the link Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 | eBay UK

Hi George

Seems like a decent deal you got there mate. Do you mind me asking where from ?

Good luck with your new scope.

I tried to write a response to that but for some reason it did not come up. Are we not allowed to post links on here to sellers on ebay? Anyhow, it was a good deal and the person did have some more available but i do not know if they still do, there is also the same scope being auctioned on ebay and it is at £111 so far so might be a good deal for someone.

What I would do is join a local astro soc, observing group, or got to a star party. See if you can borrow a couple of ep's to try - folks are usually most obliging. You'll get a good idea of how you want to upgrade - and this scope really does benefit from better ep's than the supplied ones.

When I had a 150P it really came to life with a Hyperion zoom - the difference was my first intro to better ep's and my pocket has suffered since (it was just so good) lol. Try TV plossls, regular hyperions, WO wide angle and planetaries, TMB's, and one or two different barlows like Celestron Ultima, Tal, TV (esp Powermates). You'll soon get an idea of how you want to go and what you'll need to budget.

But for now - use the supplied ep's till you get chance to try others, or you may wind up buying something unsuitable if you purchase immediately ;)