i'm considering a DOB.

Meade Lightbridge 16" Dob

from what i read they are pretty much best bang for buck when it comes to visual excitment, i have the lx200 for carting around and have enjoyed the GPS (maybe even a little to reliant on it) i suppose what i'm asking is will my EP's be of use on this (1.25") and being in the middle of a town will it just be a light bucket that never gets the use it should?

will be used on back patio so limited sky (East\south\west)

should i know of any hiden costs with a DOB?

As you might know I have one and also I live in a city with bad light pollution.

It does suck in light pollution, but because of it's aperture it can still let you observe objects that are just not there in lower aperture scopes, even in my LP I can see mag 14 objects.

From a dark site, this scope is pretty amazing, one of my fun moments was seeing the gaping mouth of the Pacman, so clear I was astounded.

They need work to get the best out of them. Such items as flocking, new focuser, shroud, wheels, Setting circles, Telrad, secondary heater, counterweights etc.

Just take a look through the DIY section under username Doc to see what I have done.

Personally I am of the view that a dob is always a work in progress (especially a large one). I have just sold my 12" as I had almost done everything on it and had nothing left to do! Bought a 16" mirror and tube and will be creating another dob out of that so as you may guess I'd recommend dobs!

Good advice above.

Hi

The 16" lightbridge is a super scope, hard to beat the bang for buck.

Personally I would set the LX200 up for home and cart the lightbridge about.

IMO you want ya big scope under dark skies not ya small one.

I transport my 16" much further to dark skies than my 10" it's just sooo worth it.

Must add a 16" is a big scope so make sure you've room for it also some people struggle to set them up on their own and find them heavy.

If your fit it should pose no problem though.

Regards Steve

This is where I suffer. When I bought mine I was pretty fit, but since I have had a triple heart bypass and somehow now have Sjogrens Syndrome which is causing alot of joint pain in hips, Knees and now fingers.

If you are unfit or ill then a 16" dob is a struggle to use at times.

Doc,

I have seen some people use offset wheels and a removable handle on their dob (especially larger truss-tube models) that allow the mass of the scope be be wheeled about, rather like a large wheelbarrow.

I could send you a sketch if you are interested - an easy DIY that can keep you mobile in your old age! :D (We grey-haired fellows must stick together!!!)

Dan

This is where I suffer. When I bought mine I was pretty fit, but since I have had a triple heart bypass and somehow now have Sjogrens Syndrome which is causing alot of joint pain in hips, Knees and now fingers.

If you are unfit or ill then a 16" dob is a struggle to use at times.

Doc,

I have seen some people use offset wheels and a removable handle on their dob (especially larger truss-tube models) that allow the mass of the scope be be wheeled about, rather like a large wheelbarrow.

I could send you a sketch if you are interested - an easy DIY that can keep you mobile in your old age! :D (We grey-haired fellows must stick together!!!)

Dan

Thanks Dan but my scope already have the wheelbarrow wheels, and they do help a lot.

As regards EPs for a big Dob, just watch out for the exit pupil. I retired our 35 Panoptic when I wanted a wide field on the F4 Dob because it was over 8mm. A 26 Nagler is far better. A 21 Ethos would have been better still!

Olly

I did just the same as Olly and agree, especially where theres some light pollution. I honestly think I prefer the view through the 26mm Nagler to the 21 Ethos (I looked through one recently) but I'd like to compare again (who wouldn't? :D)

Archived