SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Balancing a megrez72 on EQ5

pwalsh61

Finally took delivery last Thursday of an EQ5 Pro mount. Very solid feel to it and looking forward to clearer skies. However...

Yesterday I thought I'd have a go at getting the balance sorted out with the intention of marking the counterweight position on the shaft for future reference. I attached the scope using the L-mount (I'm waiting for a dovetail bar to give me more flexibility) and fitted the 2" diagonal. I found that even with one of the counterweights (5.1Kg supplied with the mount) as far up the shaft as possible, the counterweight side of the RA axis was heavier than the scope side, so my question is: Will the SkyWatcher 3.42Kg and 1.8Kg counterweights fit an EQ5 shaft, or are they only intended for EQ3-2 and below? The SW site doesn't give an indication of the diameter of the hole at the centre of the weights.

Presumably other Megrez 72 users have encountered this?

Archived