Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

scope power distribution hub design

hi there,

I am looking into making ascope power distribution hub a bit like this hitecastro.co.uk

and want it to have some usb hubs,a few 12v ports to power mount,laptop and a few other add ons i.e Dew heaters at a later date, so really something that is going to tidy everything up at the mount and just have one lead going from the laptop.

So has anyone done this is there any threads about on how to do it?

All help appreciated thanks dazz:glasses1:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a go myself. I'm competent (if a little impatient!) re. soldering and chassis-bashing. LOL! Not sure it will be a "work of art" though. Starting with the canonical Ali diecast box. For now, I am "standardising" on 3-pin XLR and 5.5/2.5mm DC power sockets... for 12V (maybe other, stabilised!) voltage distribution. I seem to have found useful(!) chassis-mounted (dual-sided A-:( USB and BNC socket etc... Arriving soon? :p

If it's of any help, pictures, ideas, (Maplin) part numbers etc. can be supplied later... :D

I shall be making such a box later. Not sure about XLR - they're quite big and a bit pricey. Probably stick with the standard 5.5/2.5mm DC power sockets, that's what I use for 12v distribution for our CCTV cameras. And the power socket on the mount is the same AFAIK.

The system I have in the observatory is 240/12v, I use the 240v all the time but once a month I change to 12v to give it a runout and see what bugs there are. I have to admit to having an invertor on the 12v system so in reality I am still on 240v but from a battery. At the moment I am in the process od building a mobile 12v supply similar to some shown on other threads here.

Jim

Cool, coz I run mine from 240v house supply would it be better to use a 12v dc power supply from maplins or make my own some how.

Also will you be ripping a usb hub apart for the ports or make your own from scratch?

Cheers

I have often made up my own PSU but watch the cost of parts - can often be more than a ready built supply. For obs use you will want 2A for the mount and extra for whatever else you want to power. I would suggest 5A but you should add up the current taken by each item you wish to power and allow for future expansion. If you get a more powerful PSU that you need it doesn't matter - you just have spare capacity. But if you draw more current than thePSU is rated at then you risk either it switching off or burning out. Moreover running your mount on low voltage can cause problems.

Cheap 12v 5A PSU from Maplin (unregulated I think) :- 12V 5A Cigarette Socket Power Supply : 12V Car Accessory Power Supplies : Maplin

12v 16A regulated switch mode PSU (best sort) Maplin :- 12V 16A TV or Monitor Power Supply Free Delivery : TV and Monitor Power Supplies : Maplin

12v 5A PSU from Amazon UK (cheaper than Maplin and looks better) :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/12V-Monitor-Adapter-Power-Supply/dp/B004BBSYGQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1304934366&sr=8-5

Alternatively, computer PSUs provide regulated 12v at high current (an old 235W I've got gives 8A) and if you haven't got a spare one, are quite cheap to buy. Of course you'll need to provide your own connector for the 12v. oh, and computer PSUs are switch mode and very efficient.

I would suggest a regulated, switch mode power supply - reliable, overload protected, exact voltage, efficient.

Reminded of a peripheral(!) point:

I was initially hoping to provide a stabilised 12V supply (for Watec camera). The main problem is that the on-load voltage from a deep cycle battery doesn't always provide sufficient "headroom" for a typical stabiliser to work? :D

<thinking> For higher voltage I do use a "switching" Maplin Inverter for my "notebook". It seems to only consume current from the battery when on load. But I suspect we ain't talking EFFICIENCY now! :p

just been searching the web and have seen you mean gina by converting a computer psu for the purpose and was wondering if any body has and have they got any pics,because i think this is the way i might go its cheap,got overload protection and a choice of voltages which might come in handy.

thanks again everybody this is much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

thats supposed to be psu for free doh!

Anyway i done the conversion and tried it on my mount but the led on the mount kept on flashing when slewing it seems the the psu poduces just under 12v but does have 18amps current so there is enough current there for the mount.

So how do i get more volts out of the psu to power the mount?

What is the max voltage a heq5 take?

cheers dazz

There was a thread a little while ago where people suggested against switch mode PSU's for oudoor use because of earth leakage risks. Some even experienced 'tingleing' when touching metal parts.

I have 'standardised' on XLR plug/sockets. They are relatively cheap (on eBay), carry a decent current, are keyed (so no plugging them in the wrong way), and positively lock in place (so no more cigar lighter plus working loose), aren't too big nor too small and fiddly in the dark.

With a computer PSU such as those you get with Intel-based motherboards don't you need to short or make momentary contact on a couple of the lines to get it to fire up? Or is that a motherboard feature rather than a PSU feature?

James

aint xlr leads used for guitar amps and the like?

The psu is dc current and as for the thread thanks for pointing me there,watch out for that but as it said in the thread that the shock could be cause be a matter of things like bad socket wiring,earth leak and the like.

I cant see SW using the legs of the tripod for earth because each foot has rubber on it, so should be isulated shouldnt it.

Anyway once i have run a few tests with it and tried to get more power out of it we shall see what happens.

No reason why they shouldn't be used for something else as long as there can be no confusion. I doubt an obsy would be confused with a sound stage :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there ,

I thought I d give an update I ave managed to convert my psu to a power station but had a problem with the 12v side not producing 12v so the mount didnt function properly,so I thought a voltage booster off ebay and it works a treat an the mount works fine with it.

Anyway I am stuck trying to find something to enclose it in with all the other electrical goodies I have to go in it so I thought a small tool box and was looking to fit it in there but I Need to find some where that make mounting brackets for atx psu,so if you anywhere please let me know.

Or could I take the inner boards out of the current enclose and put it into a plastic project box and if so what would I do with the earth from the mains which goes from the plug to the chassis I think it wont need it but soul I be right?

Cheers dazz

Archived