SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tracking with a Dob

Afternoon all,

As I have mentioned a few times on here now I have decided to go for the skywatcher 200p dob. At a later date is it possible to add/buy anything for this set up to allow tracking, not go to but just track once I have located, if it is possible what are the costs for this.

Thanks

Tim

Is it just a motor then that would be needed for photography?

A motor and EQ mount to put is simplistically.

PS the so called EQ Platforms for Dobs can be very expensive, but you can make your own.

Check out some of these threads for some background and discussions:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/140847-tracking-upgrade.html#post1807119

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/136669-equatorial-platform.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/140204-short-exposure-astrophotogrophy.html

Starjust, imaging from a dob is confined to using a webcam aimed at the planets and the moon irrespective of whether it is on a motorised platform or not. Imaging deep sky objects requires more accuracy in tracking because longer exposures are required to image these faint objects. This can be achieved directly from a very good mount or accuracy can alternatively achieved by influencing its motors through auto guiding. HEQ5 is the minimum mount that can facilitate the above, any mount smaller than that be it motorised from the outset or with motors added later will greatly assist with observing objects but are not sufficiently accurate or consistent to support imaging.

Hope that helps

James

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments I was intending to try my hand at photography but at present budget wont stretch to the required equipment. Just after a possible upgrade to standard dob mount that gives tracking ability for visual use only.

Thanks

Tim

Sky-watcher are advertising in their catalog a bolt on kit for the skyliner dobs but as yet I'm not aware of them being for sale or for how much. I'm guessing they won't be cheap as there is a large difference in price between there manual and auto dobs.

I've mentioned this in another post, but im holding out for skywatcher to release the manual dob upgrade kit. apparently it's in the pipeline! obviously it won't be as good as an EQ platform. but an eq6 is a pricey bit of kit!

Starjust, imaging from a dob is confined to using a webcam aimed at the planets and the moon irrespective of whether it is on a motorised platform or not. Imaging deep sky objects requires more accuracy in tracking because longer exposures are required to image these faint objects. This can be achieved directly from a very good mount or accuracy can alternatively achieved by influencing its motors through auto guiding. HEQ5 is the minimum mount that can facilitate the above, any mount smaller than that be it motorised from the outset or with motors added later will greatly assist with observing objects but are not sufficiently accurate or consistent to support imaging.

Hope that helps

James

Planning to get the same scope myself this month (providing the stock is available now)

A dob is fine for me to begin with but it's nice to know the tube can be put on a mount to progress on to tracking / photography if I get into it :D

I'm looking forward to seeing how much the bolt-on dob kits will sell for as well. Otherwise a goto GEM will be on the cards. Keep changing my mind between a CG-5, EQ-5 or HEQ-5 :D

Archived