Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Imaging setup help

Hello

I hope this is the right thread. if not please accept my apologies.

Right I have the following setup A CG5 with Ioptron Goto Nova fitted a Williams Optics 80mm triplet and Starlight Express single shot colour camera. I have also just ordered an adaptor that goes between the ST4 guide port of the camera to the HBX guide port on the Goto Nova.

What i need to know is what do i do now Is it plug everything together and usa camera lead to laptop and run PHD and thats it? does everything all just run from software through the camera and to the mount?. I am asking just in case i need anything else as the adaptor is on its way and i have not got it yet so thought if i need anything else i would ask..now before it comes?

Thanks Andy

I think something is missing here... Is the SX camera a dual sensor jobbie? You're talking about guiding, for which you need two cameras - one as the guide camera and another one to take the images. To achieve this, you also need a second guide scope or an off-axis guider.

I don't know anything about the ins-and-outs of guiding though, as I have never done it.

Sincere apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here!

Hello

I was under the impression from who i got the camera off that he thought the SXVF-M7C does both at the same time but takes twice the exposure time when doing so? I will have to ask the question at Starlight. Which is why i thought i had almost every thing if not i will get a OAG and a cheap guide camera to fit.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've had a quick look at the the Starlight XPress site and it states that the "SXVF-M7C" has a "Built-in autoguider interface and output - compatible with the optional dedicated external guide camera". This means you'll need their guider (or another guide camera) to get this working.

HTH

Mark

It also says it's Star 2000 compatible.

That means, simply put, it will take a picture and guide at the same time. SX's answer to the SBIG system.

Some people used it. Some cursed it.

Dave.

Andy

As others have said, SX's Star2000 uses one chip for both imaging and guiding. That approach is however no longer used. Have a look on the SX site for the appropriate software.

I also see that you're using Maxim. I think Maxim can use Star2000 with the appropriate drivers. If you search on Star2000 on Maxim's Help, i'm sure you'll find something to set you in the right direction

Steve

Archived