Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

ollypenrice

Strange computer problems; help?

I have two laptops , two mounts and two Atik 4000s. One laptop runs XP, the other Vista.

I went out to mount A, powered up the camera in Artemis Capture and it started fine, then I got a USB error message so I closed Artemis and tried to reopen it. Artemis simply would not open at all. I rebooted but still nothing. I re-installed Artemis from the disc. Still nothing.

So I gave up and took the other laptop to the other mount/camera and... Artemis could not find the camera.

Bed time.

In the morning I went out and they both worked normally.

Now what is even stranger is that this is the second time I have had exactly this phenomenon.

One other thing; I tried to run both cameras in an alternative software, AstroArt, but neither computer could find either camera that way either.

The only thing I could thnk of is that an update might have messed up each machine but one of the computers has not been connected to the net for a long time.

Any ideas, anyone? Maybe there is a witch in the village or the ghost of Joan of Arc?

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Did you do a reboot or a power off then fresh turn on, it can make a difference.

I have had very similar issues with external Hard Drives, and never really work out why or what was causing it.

Do the Cams run of there own power or are they powered via USB? Im guessing there powered for the cooling, did you power off the Cameras as part of the reboot sequence?

I find that a Complete power off all devices is the best way to restart things.

This is possibly why they worked fine this morning.

Edited by Earl

I have had very similar issues with external Hard Drives, and never really work out why or what was causing it.

Fact of the matter is, USB connectors are not very good, especially after they've been plugged & unplugged a few dozen times. The more power you try to draw through them, the worse they are. Changing the cable for a new one is a relatively cheap way of "repairing" an unreliable setup, you should be able to do this a few times before the fixed connectors in the PC & device finally give up the ghost.

Cables do help but there are other boot order issues i fond cause problems.

USB is pants this is why I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I had a similar problem the other night: I think that Maxim crashed and left the Atik "open" (Artemis Capture wouldn't run). I found that in Task Manager (right click the toolbar), under the Processes tab (NOT Applications), there was Artemis Capture. I stopped the process and all was fine.

Steve

Thanks all. I did change the USB cable early on in the process, yes. I also powered down the cameras. However, this 'processes ' issue sounds a likely possibility I think. Very grateful to all.

Olly