1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Tal 100RS Vs Die Cast Fire And Rescue Truck

Hi everyone, just thought i'd share a horror story with you. Yesterday i was working on the base for my pier and had my scopes sitting in the yard. I went to get a parcel from the postman and this is what greeted me when i returned :p Apparently the fire and rescue vehicle (die cast metal) had taken flight all by itself and crash landed on the Tal! Even stranger, the dewshield and cap were in place when i left it. :D

The moral of the story is, never leave your scopes unattended when there are kids around. To say i am gutted has to be the understatement of the centuary.

post-24496-133877600879_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got kids and I feel for you!

My eldest once hit mine with a hammer!

I lost my 90mm Mak by tripping over kids toys in garden at night and dropping it on concrete.

Worst bit being I couldn't even bring myself feel angry with them!!

You just have to laugh if off and have an excuse to get a new scope!

I've got kids and I feel for you!

My eldest once hit mine with a hammer!

I lost my 90mm Mak by tripping over kids toys in garden at night and dropping it on concrete.

Worst bit being I couldn't even bring myself feel angry with them!!

You just have to laugh if off and have an excuse to get a new scope!

I have to take most of the responsibility. I should have known better. Both my boys are going through a throwing phase and i should never have left them unattended. Ah well, new scope for Xmas maybe.

Sigh.

The only downside of the excellent UK new cost of a 100RS is, a replacement lens cell would probably set you back a 1/2 to 2/3 of the price.

Keep an eyeout for 2nd hand 100RS's or R's and you could transfer the cell onto your modern ota.

:(Andy.

Sigh.

The only downside of the excellent UK new cost of a 100RS is, a replacement lens cell would probably set you back a 1/2 to 2/3 of the price.

Keep an eyeout for 2nd hand 100RS's or R's and you could transfer the cell onto your modern ota.

:(Andy.

Yeah, was thinking about that Andy, will keep my eyes open on the forums and maybe something will turn up.

Damo that is truly awful, i cant imagine how you must have felt on seeing that................keep looking for an older 100r with purple objective lens, rumour has it older lens slightly better than new ones, have seen them go for about a ton in past

I wonder is it as simple as slipping a new cell onto the tube or would there be collimation issues to deal with? Had a look at the one F15 Rules has for sale. Lovely example and only wish i was in a position to buy it.

Cheers

Damo

Mmm.

Older R's and RS's had an aluminium tube. I believe the newer ones have a steel tube. The question is, did Tal change the cell to fit the new tube or whether the new tube was manufactered to fit the age old cell. Now, I have had both the focuser and cell off my old 100RS. I can recall that at the focuser end, there was about a mm shaved off the diameter there, but at the cell end?

After I've written all that, it's come to me. I think Neil English, in his 100RS review, swapped an R lens cell onto the newer 100RS.

Andy.

Edited by AndyH

House insurance sounds a winner if you have accidental in the clause. Make sure you read that Small print to make sure you have a water tight story other wise they will brush your claim under the carpet and put your premium up next year just for your considering to making a claim.

Edited by spaceboy

House insurance sounds a winner if you have accidental in the clause. Make sure you read that Small print to make sure you have a water tight story other wise they will brush your claim under the carpet and put your premium up next year just for your considering to making a claim.

Obviously someone who knows little about insurance!

If you've got AD cover you should be ok. Most importantly, just tell the truth to your insurers. Any queries, drop me a PM. I'm a Loss Adjuster for a major household insurer with 23 years experience.

The very first night I had my telescope, a mom and her son came to have a look at the moon. I was just showing the mom where to focus the scope when I looked up and saw the child about to drop a rock onto the corrector plate! He wanted to surprise his mom with an asteroid... I stopped him just in time.

Y

Obviously someone who knows little about insurance!

If you've got AD cover you should be ok. Most importantly, just tell the truth to your insurers. Any queries, drop me a PM. I'm a Loss Adjuster for a major household insurer with 23 years experience.

Thanks mate, I think i will contact them tomorrow. I will have to dig out the policy documents and check if i have accidental damage covered. We have had it running by direct debit for a few years now and neither of us can remember if we added accidental damage at the time. Fingers crossed.

Damo