Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Veil Nebula in narrowband

antimorris

This has been a couple week project thanks to bad weather, but finally have at least one night of each narrowband channel I wanted to use (SII, OIII, Ha) - I still plan on doing one more night of Ha; to add to the Luminance, but here is the initial process.

SII: 8x1200, 2x2

OIII: 8x1200, 2x2

Ha: 8x1200, 1x1

so far a total of 8 hrs with another set of Ha to go tonight.

Mapped in the following manner:

Red = Ha + 24% [sII]

Green = [sII]

Blue = [OIII] + 15% [Ha]

I still need to crop around the edges to compensate for alignment adjustment, but am waiting until I get the next night finished.

EDIT: Final image with additional night of Ha and complete reprocess posted farther down in this same thread

Hope you like it:

5695982751_9132d99e96_z.jpg

Veil Nebula, narrowband on black

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, the unusual mapping has produced some great definition in the detail.

Out of interest, is there much signal with the SII filter? I'd really appreciate it if you could post just the SII subs.

Thanks

Tim

I created an animated gif showing the stages I did to create the image. The colors & resolution on the if are kinda horrible (apparently the cost of making a gif), but it gives you an idea:

5688202533_97bed09292_o.gif

Wow, I have never seen such an interesting NB Veil. The very outer shell is something entiirely new to me. It also makes a truy beautiful image. What a great result!

Have you tried just combining all three in monochrome as well? That can look good in its own right.

Olly

Archived