sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Skywatcher autofocuser lead...

I have had this problem the last couple of weeks, wanted to extend the range and was looking at making my own but and a big but, the RJ11 is not the name of the plug on the ends, it is in fact a 4P4C, a handset cable end. The is a bit of difference in the the RJ11 is slightly larger on the sides, I rooted round through all my gear and found one triple the length so am using that but will be looking to making one later.

Jim

It is as The Sailor says a 4P4C. I've used an old telephone handset cable and spliced an extension into the middle. It's 4 core, cores 1+2 are one polarity and cores 3+4 are the other, joined inside the handset.

That's a shame as i've just found a 10m RJ11 in the shed.....I was hoping I could just swap the plugs over, for the 4p4c plug...I guess not though - it's red, blue, green and white on the RJ11, but red, blue , green and black on the handset cable....

Whats the problem Chris? If the cable is the same size, your okay as long as you match colour for colour at each end.

As an aside, I have been looking at fleabay the last week and have to be honest I don't trust most of the descriptions as they seem to be selling RJ11's as 4P4C plugs. If I can get the correct plugs I will start making a few, without curls :D.

Jim

Edited by The Sailor

Whats the problem Chris? If the cable is the same size, your okay as long as you match colour for colour at each end.

As an aside, I have been looking at fleabay the last week and have to be honest I don't trust most of the descriptions as they seem to be selling RJ11's as 4P4C plugs. If I can get the correct plugs I will start making a few, without curls :p.

Jim

That's what i'm not sure about Jim, the Rj11 is red, blue, green and white, the original focuser cable is the same but has black instead of white....so i'm just holding off cutting anything until someone can confirm that's fine or not! :D

Chris, what I am saying is, if you cut the cable in the centre and strip back you have four colours, put a colour, does not matter which, to a colour and match the same the other end, you should have a working cable. I have done this many a time with USB webcams, different colours in the cable but as long as you match the connection not a problem. Just try and ensure the cable size is just right :D .

Jim

Hmm... There are RJ11 size connectors with 4P4C connections - they are used on the weather station I have. Telephone cables with 4 wires are fine on my weather station, I've used them. Are we saying these connectors are different from the RJ11 4P4C connectors?

Chris, I would have done at least 6" from the plug, not helped with the curl so close to the plug :( but helps if mistakes are made and an undo is required :D.

Gina, RJ11 and 4P4C are not the same, the handset cable (4P4C) has not got an RJ classification and is misnamed. The plug RJ11 has a shoulder extra on the side and will not fit into a 4P4C socket. Put RJ11 into the Wiki and you will get the complete RJ rundown, RJ stands for Registered Jack :p.

Jim

Edited by The Sailor