1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

hi all

super website

i am new to astrononmy an am looking to buy my first telescope. before i joined this forum my idea was to buy a telescope with a goto for ease.

after looking at other entries i realise that might not be the best way to go and have decided to learn the sky myself and spend my pennies on a scope with better size mirror as i see this is the way to get clearer images, after some excellent advice on my first blog i downloaded stellarium to my computer and also purchased a book called 'turn left at orion'

was just after a bit of advice on the best scope to purchase i am looking to spend around 300, no more than 350, from looking about this seems to be a good telescope for my first

Skyliner 200P 8" Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope

seems to have good mirror size and is only £270.00, just wondering before i buy if anyone knows any scopes better for around this price range

p.s love the site

thanks

dan

Hi Dan,

Although it is not a scope I have personal knowledge of I see that lots of members of this forum have a very high regard for this scope.

I am sure plenty of owners will soon be singing it's praises.

It's a great scope, I don't own one but I've looked through a few it is miles better than my own scope but not as portable which is why I don't own one, I honestly don't think there is a better new scope for the price.

Hi Dan,

You couldn't have chosen better for a first telescope. I teach hundreds of people new to astronomy each year, and they all start off with a basic dobsonian just like yours. A scope like this meets all the basic needs of the beginner:

1. Simplicity, simplicity! Just two pieces, light enough for any adult to move and sets up in a minute or less.

2. Easy to use: No batteries, no cables, wires, electronics, levers or gears. Almost nothing to go wrong! Just point it with a red-dot finder and you are good to go! You will be observing wonders within 5 minutes of the first time you set up!

3: Easy to transport: One of the joys of a nice scope like this is the fantastic views you get in your back garden - and then discovering the WONDERFUL views you get when you finally pack your kit in the boot and go to a darker location. Mass and size are small enough that this scope will fit in the boot for most cars. If not, it will fit across the back seat with a safety belt around it!

4. Easy to store: An 8" or less scope like this stores in only about 18-inches square on the floor - takes up much less space than designs with tripods!

5. Easy on your wallet. You will be absolutely amazed at how much scope you have purchased! ... and you will want more!!! :D Still, this scope should leave you cash to spend on other eyepieces and accessories you want. Things to consider early on if not supplied already: a) Red-dot or 'telrad' finder, :p 32mm (or larger) eyepiece for looking at really faint, deep sky objects -- like galaxies! c) 9mm (or smaller) eyepiece for planetary and lunar work, d) a red LED torch and a small star map, e) a 'lunar filter' for the eyepiece - cuts down the glare of the VERY bright moon, f) some sort of case for your accessories.

I hope that helps! You can pay us all back by posting photos of your new pride and joy when it arrives, and letting us all know how your first light goes!

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan - thanks for your nice comments about the site. As per above, I agree it's a great size for a first scope and excellent value for money. The only essential accessory you'll need for it is a collimator. Have fun with it :D

Edited by brantuk

hi guys, great seems like i got the right idea with this one thanks will upload a pic when it arrives

ok astra thanks for the info, will have a look at the other accessories for after i have my scope

thanks bran, never heard of a collimator but ill have a read up and see whats what

thanks again for the help everyone, cant wait :D