SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light Optics New Website

Hi Guys

Its great that you can now leave reviews on items, and the feature reviews are also handy.

A lot of people requested that feature and a number of reviews have already been submitted :eek:

We are currently discussing how best to encourage people to leave reviews. The website can automatically send an email to customers sometime after they have received their order requesting that they leave a review but we have never done anything like that and are concerned that it would be considered spam. Perhaps some kind of competition or prize draw would be best.

Its even easier to spend money now ;)

Excellent ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
great website.

having product release dates would be helpful too

That is an excellent idea but very difficult to achieve. We do our best to keep people updated here in the Sponsor section with new product details and we regularly pester the importers/distributors for release dates but it is like getting blood out of a stone :eek:

The unspoken truth is we often first hear of new products from members posting here on SGL than from the official importers.

Hi Steve, been looking at the website, looks great! One problem I have come across, when looking at Focusers>William Optics> it shows the finder scope bracket and not focusers.

Sorted :eek:

Thank-you Keith

Please consider adding a pre-order or reservation/"contact me when this product is available" feature.

That function is already installed Mike but it won't become visible until we have setup the stock availability feature. James and Lisa are still working on that one. When it is up and running a 'notify me when available' button will appear when stock reaches zero.

Oh, and if you have your notebook open now please put my name down next to the 8" Quattro's ;)

Will do :eek:

We are currently discussing how best to encourage people to leave reviews. The website can automatically send an email to customers sometime after they have received their order requesting that they leave a review but we have never done anything like that and are concerned that it would be considered spam. Perhaps some kind of competition or prize draw would be best.

Prizes - Yes that would be very encouraging :eek: far better than spam.

Also, how about a picture of a ruler next to eyepeices. I nearly died when the Hyperion zoom arrived!

Prizes - Yes that would be very encouraging ;) far better than spam.

Done :eek:

Details HERE

Also, how about a picture of a ruler next to eyepeices. I nearly died when the Hyperion zoom arrived!

We are seriously considering a small light tent so we can produce more of our own photos so we could do that for some of the larger eyepieces. There are some eyepieces that make even the Hyperion Zoom look small...

We are seriously considering a small light tent so we can produce more of our own photos so we could do that for some of the larger eyepieces. There are some eyepieces that make even the Hyperion Zoom look small...

Well worth the effort imo it is much better to have real photos than oem photos which are more often than not out of date.

That function is already installed Mike but it won't become visible until we have setup the stock availability feature. James and Lisa are still working on that one. When it is up and running a 'notify me when available' button will appear when stock reaches zero.

We have added Gerd Neumann Aurora Flat-Field panels to our website today. We will announce them properly in a seperate thread later but because the stock has been set to nil (until they arrive) it is displaying the 'Notify me when this item is available' button.

The notification is automated, our website sends an email when we increase the stock count. It doesn't rely on my memory, which is good! :eek:

Steve

Suggestions for the ordering system: The emails are sent from 'contact@' and it's not clear on the emails what to do if you find your order incomplete etc.

I sent email to contact@ because my order of Chandler's Planisphere was missing a mentioned item. After no reply for 24 hours, I tried again to questions@ which is apparently connected to the helpdesk software.

So why not make clear for order queries to send email to questions@ or even better use that as the from address so I can just reply the dispatch email and explain the problem.

Thanks!

Suggestions for the ordering system: The emails are sent from 'contact@' and it's not clear on the emails what to do if you find your order incomplete etc.

I sent email to contact@ because my order of Chandler's Planisphere was missing a mentioned item. After no reply for 24 hours, I tried again to questions@ which is apparently connected to the helpdesk software.

So why not make clear for order queries to send email to questions@ or even better use that as the from address so I can just reply the dispatch email and explain the problem.

Thanks!

You are right, that is ambiguous and is something we need to fix. Apparantly we cannot make questions@ the from address for the automated order confirmation email. We hope to have a solution soon :)

Thanks for mentioning it,

Steve

Simples :-)

It isn't as simple as that because it isn't only order confirmations that are affected, there are other automated update emails, internal and external. If they were forwarded to the helpdesk it would cause a few headaches. Most companies include a 'please do not respond' request within the email but we think that gives the wrong impression so are looking at alternatives. We are nearly there :D

One little thing, not bad though is when inputting the password to log into your account, you cant cut and paste it from the email you have to manually type it in.

Great website, just a few niggles - first being with the bar on the top right seemingly not being long enough?

Wkadr.png

And the other with the tabs for each category not being antialiased, seemingly unlike the blue bar at the top. That is just me being pedantic though, still a great site :)

Great website, just a few niggles - first being with the bar on the top right seemingly not being long enough?

Wkadr.png

And the other with the tabs for each category not being antialiased, seemingly unlike the blue bar at the top. That is just me being pedantic though, still a great site :)

Works ok for me in every browser I care to throw the FLO website at.. what browser are you using?

Mike

Chromium, but it's in Arch and i never really sorted out the fonts, i just kinda learned to live with it. I'm sure there's a trick i'm missing somewhere. Hmm...

In Epiphany it works, but if anything it seems too long. Would there be a way of making it scale? But then how would it know? Bah, i'll talk about it when it's not sunrise :)

the TAL has been packed away until winter but i will be spending much more time out there, weather permitting, when the nights return so if no review has been placed for the TAL 150P by then, i will run mine through the numbers and post one.

I haven't heard of Epiphany or Gnome - sorry :)

FLO's analytics has recorded 27x different browsers visiting the website over the last 30 days, and they aren't listed. which means they account for less than 0.1% of visits. Unless I am missing something...

Steve

Archived