sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

First try at a DSO

Hedgerow

Had my scope for nearly a month now, camera for a bit less and with knowledge that is even poorer. However, following advice from SL contributors I thought I'd have a go. I'm using a 6" Newtonian Goto scope. It is not guided (I'll get round to that later!) neither do I have any filters yet.

The image is made up of 50sec subs to keep trailing to a minimum taken over two nights. I have added some darks, bias and flats using Deep Sky Stacker with some tweaking in PhotoShop Elements2.

I know it lacks pinpoint detail and is barely a patch on the images from you experienced contributors, but I am pleased to have produced my first image of something I could barely see through the scope.

Comments/advice is always welcome.

Cheers

Peter

post-24064-133877599974_thumb.jpg

Agreed, its a very fine start to imaging. More subs will bring the noise down and bring the fine detail out in the galaxies arms.

A CLS filter will help you with light pollution which is probably responsible for the gradient coming in from the bottom left hand side of the image.

Still its an excellent effort, especially for your first DSO.

Edited by Neil Hankey

A million times better than my first attempt at a DSO! (my recent attempts not much better tbh) Well done!

There is a bit of a green cast - try tweaking the colour balance in PS.