SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone wanting a TAL 100RS ??

spaceboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, I'll make do with the 2M for now - it's about perfect for planetary and lunar imaging which is my object for summer (along with a bit of solar work).

Thanks for the pointer, though.

J.

Tal Telescopes I have dealt with Sherwood's and they are usually very reliable so I would be shocked to find out they allow you to complete checkout with out having the item in stock.

SPACEBOY

Just rang them,they haven't got them in stock :)

They'd have to check with suppliers - ie you wont get one

Just rang them,they haven't got them in stock :)

They'd have to check with suppliers - ie you wont get one

And here's me thinking S'n'S were the only ones who let you complete checkout when items are not in stock. I am surprised as Sherwood's usually run a tight ship. I'd like to bet you would get an email ASAP from Sherwood's telling you where as S'n'S just keep you waiting.

Was it a TAL 100RS by any chance :)

Would there worthwhile considering a refractor like the 100RS if you had say, a 200mm reflector?

You would think it pointless but there are benefits in having both designs as I recently found out. Refractors offer way more contrast and sharpness on the moon than a 200mm reflector. Where as the goal with reflectors is aperture for seeking out those distant galaxies the important thing with refractors is getting the best optics. Another thing to consider is it's half the size of a 8" reflector so on those moonlit nights when all the 8" is doing is sucking in light pollution you can quickly drop the refractor on the mount and check out the moon and what ever planets in HD.

You would think it pointless but there are benefits in having both designs as I recently found out. Refractors offer way more contrast and sharpness on the moon than a 200mm reflector. Where as the goal with reflectors is aperture for seeking out those distant galaxies the important thing with refractors is getting the best optics. Another thing to consider is it's half the size of a 8" reflector so on those moonlit nights when all the 8" is doing is sucking in light pollution you can quickly drop the refractor on the mount and check out the moon and what ever planets in HD.

Thanks for that Spaceboy, I now understand the point of using them for the moon. But what about planets? Perhaps the larger resolving power of my reflector (properly collimated) would still outweigh the design of a refractor? I honestly have no idea if any of that is true, I am just spinning ideas around my head. I'm also trying to work out if a Mak say 127 would be a worthwhile investment because of what it is suited too.

Oh and here I go off topic once again about my own kit...:)

Thanks for that Spaceboy, I now understand the point of using them for the moon. But what about planets? Perhaps the larger resolving power of my reflector (properly collimated) would still outweigh the design of a refractor? I honestly have no idea if any of that is true, I am just spinning ideas around my head. I'm also trying to work out if a Mak say 127 would be a worthwhile investment because of what it is suited too.

Oh and here I go off topic once again about my own kit...:D

Already asked similar questions and these were the results

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/137735-4-apochromatic-ever-going-beat-8-reflector.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/115726-refractor-mak.html

The 127 MAK IMHO will always out perform a similar priced achromatic but compared to a similar aperture apochromatic refractor the apo would for me win due to it's wider FOV's.

Being an achromatic even the TAL at the end of the day, like it or not will suffer CA. The relatively small aperture and long focal length will help dampen it but not eliminate it. I haven't seen through a 100RS so I cannot comment on there sharpness but I just don't see how it could possible improve on the absolute razer sharp colour free images given by the MAK. I also found the contrast of the MAK to be respectable on the moon despite it's central obstruction. Would it compete against the TAL? depends which compromise you would rather make? Some false colour and halo's but superb contrast or slightly less contrast and neutral colour. Even in my cheap Chinese achro I can pull of good views of the moon but CA robs me of clarity on the smaller planets. Granted I have a larger lens and that only goes to magnify the problem but this was no issue for the same aperture MAK.

At the end of the day it's what works best for the individual. Both designs have there pros and cons. Would I like to own a Tal 100RS ? Yes! Do I think it would out performs a 5" MAK ? No

A very interesting comparison Nick thanks. Also the links were helpful.

The way I now see it is this right?

Dob 8" (Skyliner, GSO)

> Great light gathering power

> Good for DSO's

> Okay for Lunar and planetary

> Mount stops high magnification tracking unless very expensive eyepieces bought

> Liable to coma in faster scopes

> Relies on expensive eyepieces in fast scopes

> No chromatic abbaration

Mak 5" (Skymax 127)

> Great for Lunar and planetary

> But central obstruction lowers contrast

> Long focal length good for viewing and imaging planets

> More portable

> No Chromatic aberration

> Narrow field of view

> No coma

> Takes longer to cool down

> More forgiving on cheaper eyepieces

> Not so good for DSO's

Acho refractor 4" (Evostar, TAL)

> Great for lunar and planetary

> Best contrast - no central obstruction

> Prone to chromatic aberration

> Narrow field of view

> Heavier - less easy to set up

> Little cool down time

> Halos

> Not so good for DSO's

> No coma

That all right?

Dob 8" (Skyliner, GSO)

> Great light gathering power

> Good for DSO's

> Okay for Lunar and planetary

> Mount stops high magnification tracking unless very expensive eyepieces bought

> Liable to coma in faster scopes

> Relies on expensive eyepieces in fast scopes

> No chromatic abbaration

Mak 5" (Skymax 127)

> Great for Lunar and planetary

> But central obstruction lowers contrast

> Long focal length good for viewing and imaging planets

> More portable

> No Chromatic aberration

> Narrow field of view

> No coma

> Takes longer to cool down & A DEW MAGNET

> More forgiving on cheaper eyepieces

> Not so good for DSO's COMPARED TO DOB

Acho refractor 4" (Evostar, TAL)

> Great for lunar and planetary

> Best contrast - no central obstruction

> Prone to chromatic aberration

> Narrow field of view

> Heavier - less easy to set up

> Little cool down time

> Halos

> Not so good for DSO's COMPARED TO THE DOB

> No coma

That all right?

I take it your contemplating a refractor or MAK Adam :D

I have no doubt the 100RS will out perform a cheap Chinese mass produced Evo 100 any day of the week. Those Russians sure know their optics. I had a Russian rifle scope back in my hunting days and you could practically shoot right up to the moment the sun disappeared beyond the horizon. The 40mm objective had near night vision properties the optics and coatings were so good.

Maybe Spaceboy :D

I'm not making any hasty buys yet thats for sure, I have only got my head around the pros and cons of each to be honest. Although Maks and fracs are basically the same purpose visually. With certain benefits just brought about from their different designs.

What mount is a tal 100rs supposed to be used with?

Also what mount would be suitable for a refractor of 4", mak of 5" and a coronado PST?

TAL 100RS EQ5, SW Evostar 100 EQ3/5 , 127 MAK EQ3, AZ4 or vixen porta and I'm not 100% sure but I think you can use a PST on a HD camera tripod

Hmm what about a PST on the sky tracking mount you get with a mak 127?

I would imagine you need a dovetail adapter but I can't see any reason why you couldn't use it with a supa-trak mount. There are plenty of solar observers on the forum who would better advise than I can.

Archived