Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Standard CLS filter or CLS CCD Filter?

swag72

When I purchased my Astronomik CLS LP filter I didn't have a modded camera at the time. Now that I have a modded camera, I am still using the CLS filter and not the CCD filter - Does that make a difference? If so, do I need to change them and buy the CCD one instead?

I think the only difference is that the CCD filter includes a block for IR and UV light. If your camera had a replacement filter which is an IR/UV block you will not need to change. If your camera was modded with a clear filter or no filter then you will need to change.

Regards

Kevin

Give Andy a shout... and see what he advises...

With the later cameras and the "multi part filter" things may be different... with the older cams when you totally removed the filter you needed to take care of UV/IR Cut... things to look for .. star bloat .. excessively "pink" images etc...

This is an interesting thread. I had my Canon 1000d modified by Andy and had the filter replacement. Reading up more about this I understand that the 1000d has a dual filter system and the remaining filter (with the filter removal only mod) is very effective in UV and IR.

I had the filter replacement mod and I was also advised (can't remeber where) to get the CLS CCD version of the EOS Clip Filter. Now I've read more I'm not sure that I needed the CCD version.:)

I'm not sure what benefits I'd see with the CCD version. It's not as though I can't get any data with the CLS version! Have emailed Andy and Bern and hope they can answer the question fo rme. Will let you know!!

I have asked this question on another forum and I am being told that for a modded camera, filter removal, it makes no difference whether you have the CLS or CLS CCD version. The CLS is cheaper!! If I find out a little more of the science, I'll post here too!

Archived