SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tv big Barlow

Hello does anyone know if the Televue 2x big Barlow comes with a adapter so you can use 1.25" ep in it as well?

And can the lens be unscrewed from the bottom so it can be used almost like an extension tube ?

IIRC, yes.

And no, unless you take a hammer to the lens unit you probably won't get the glass out ... OTOH you could simply hacksaw off the lens end & still leave plenty of length to slide into the focuser. This would probably improve the optical quality too, the TV 2" Big Barlow is not exactly the best piece of kit sold under that brand name ;) But, if you really want an extension tube, it would probably be better to buy one without the glass :)

I have the 2" TV big barlow but can not remember if it came with a 1.25 adapter. You can check with the supplier. I can confirm the lens is fixed.

Just to add:

I note you have the same scope as me and can confirm that the 2" TV big barlow works fine in my Orion 8" F4.5. Apart from the small difference in magification I could not tell the difference between my barlowed 14mm radian and my non barlowed 8mm radian. It also works very well with my 13mm Ethos. I did try a 2" x 2 GSO barlow which was utter rubbish in my F4.5 scope. (see my previous posts on this)

The end of barlow did however intrude by a small amount into the telescope tube when used with my Williams Optics binoviewers. I don't know if this would be a problem with your naglers.

Archived