Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to hobby

bsd1x

Hello my name is Dave I'm from the Youngstown, Ohio area and I'm looking to get into the hobby. I love astronomy and always wanted to get into the hobby.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Dave! You've come to the right place :-)

I've only just come back to astronomy after a few years break and loving it as I did before.

Do you have any equipment or have you joined to get more infor before you start?

Justin

I have no equiptment at all, I've been wanting to get into the hobby ever since my astronomy college class back in 2001. I have always been interested in the night sky, ever since I started learning the planets in grade school. I do not even have a pair of binoculars. I hope to learn a lot from SGL and meet new friends. Any suggestions on gear for a total beginer? I was thinking starting out with a nice pair of binoculars. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi dave : If your going to use binos I would suggest you make up some form of a dead leg to help steady your veiw.Nothing fancy just a few pieces of lumber put together so you can hold the binos and leg at the same time it will really steady your veiw.I used two pieces of 1 1/2" square stock with a cross piece at the top and 2/3rds down for a support.Some binos have an adapter on the bottom for mounting to a photographic tripod if you have one.As stated above a planetishere or star chart along with a cheap compass are pretty much essential. Are you going to be veiwing from your roof top?You guys have some awfully bad flooding going on out there or not in your area?Damn shame, A LOT of people are going to be hurting for years out that way.Good luck with your veiwing and Stay Safe.

The flooding is not around my area, so I'm not effected by that. I'll be doing my viewing from back yard and fields, I do want a tripod or something to support the binoculars. I'm giving myself a 2-300$ budget for the binoculars, I'm currently trying to find a decent pair.

Archived