Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first DSO

I am so happy at the moment, just had to share. Been on the hunt for my first DSO since the weekend. First few attempts with the scope were pretty frustrating, mainly because I havent yet figured out the red dot finder thingy so I was just blindly aiming in the general direction of M13. But today my new binos arrived so I figured I would take them for a test drive.

Set up the lounger in the back garden, turned off all lights under my control, pulled on a hoodie to try to block out any extraneous light, and started the hunt. Whilst getting my bearings, I couldnt help admire Vega for awhile... so bright, and a definite blue sparkle around her. Then I kept going to the general area for M13 but couldnt really tell if I was seeing what I was supposed to be seeing. A couple of times I saw faint objects and thought "is that it?". But then I panned a little to the right and there it was, the fuzzy smudge I had been hunting for! What amazed me was how I could have possibly missed it for so long. Each time I put the bins down I kept thinking "just once more, just to make sure I can find it again"! And sure enough it was easier and easier to find each time. I'm just sorry I didnt have the scope set up tonight. But there's always tomorrow :)

Not sure how I thought I would react to seeing a fuzzy, but wow what a rush. Literally gave me chills. Cant wait for more! ;)

Great Success Story!

Atta-GO egeller624! Its is an incredible experience to wander through the Milky Way with a good pair of binoculars and a dark sky... I've looked through hundreds of different telescopes, but bino's are still my favorite!

I hope you get the WOW of seeing it in the telescope, too.

Clear skies,

Now you have to, track it,field dress,ice it down,process it,package it,make room in the freezer,get it mounted,and hang on your wall.Great job,keep scanning the skies!

Thanks for sharing your joy!! As a fellow beginner it is posts like this that give me the motivation to continue what is a challenging (but rewarding) interest.

Like you I have found binos a useful aid to finding my way around the sky whilst searching for objects - but have you yet purchased the beginners bible "Turn Left at Orion" - a starters guide to finding some of the key astronomical objects?

Have you downloaded the free "Stellarium" software yet?

keep searching and enjoying!!

Saw my first DSO the other night, also m13, and agree the feeling of finding a DSO is great. Bet you cant wait to veiw through your telescope. might have to buy some bins as they sound helpful

Yeah, itching to get out there with the scope but unfortunately the clouds have rolled in here :D

Congrats on your first DSO too Steve!

Nibor -- yup, downloaded the kindle version of Turn Left and have found it very useful so far. Also have Stellarium but havent had much of a chance to use it yet. Have to admit, I use Starwalk on my iPad most of the time.

Hoping for some clear skies tomorrow night for more DSO hunting and moon views.

Erica

Archived