SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nagler vs Ethos

I took the plunge during the Televue 20% off sale a couple of weeks ago, and bought a 10mm Ethos.

I already have 11mm and 9mm Naglers, so the idea was to compare the Ethos and if it was significantly better, sell on the Naglers to recoup much of the cost.

I have read of two advantages to the Ethos over the Nagler:

100 degree vs 82 degree aFOV

Better contrast for observing

I compared the 10mm Ethos with both the 11mm and 9mm Naglers, using my main observing 'scope, a 14" Flextube Goto (without a lightshroud as yet - so contrast is impaired), last Sunday night, at around midnight (so fully dark, and under magnitude 6 skies smiley.gif at the Cumbria Star Party)

Dealing with each "advantage" in turn:

The increased aFOV does make a difference and (for the first time) I got that "looking out into space through the porthole" effect. It is a good experience, but you have to move your head around to see the whole view - which I quite liked. However, I am not sure if the increased aFOV alone makes the Ethos worth the money.

As soon as I looked through the Ethos I was aware of the better contrast compared to either Nagler (and as you know, I have loved these eyepieces like my own flesh and blood).

On Saturn (which was at x160mag in the Ethos) the cloud bands were more evident and I could see an additional moon. I was also sure that I could see the Cassini division, despite the rings still being close to edge on. Everything was just that bit more clear and sharp.

On M13, with neither Nagler were stars resolved fully to the core (almost, but not quite), but with the Ethos, this was easy. I have never seen M13 looking so good.

On M57 the ring was crisp and clear in either Nagler, but without colour. In the Ethos there was a hint of colour and I could see definite structure in the ring - the ring was not even, but had entertwined layers!

So, The Ethos is a definite improvement over the Nagler, but is it worth the money? As far as I am concerned, YES (but perhaps only when Televue have a sale, as money doesn't grow on trees).

I will sell my 11mm and 9mm Naglers over the Summer, along with my 30mm 82degree aFOV KK Widescan III. I am seriously considering also selling the 13mm Nagler as well, with a view to buying a 13mm Ethos.

I hope you have found this quick review useful.

Tom

Excellent review Tom and your findings mirror my own over the past 18 months, which has been a bit of a pain because the Ethe are expensive - I would have preferred the Nagler's to be as good except for the FoV ........ but there is more to the Ethe than the FoV, as you have found out ;)

I guess the "is it worth the money" question is one that everyone will have to answer for themselves though :)

Allmost exactly all the same things I noticed when looking through my first Ethos (except the objects). I didn't have Naglers to compare with but glad I'm seeing the same ep qualities as everyone else. Good review!! - gotta love those Ethos's :)

Same here.The Ethos is just that bit sharper and more contrasty.

I'm looking forward to the first head to head between the Ethos and Delos eyepieces to see how well they compare on sharpness and contrast. :)

John

I like what I'm hearing here. Its reassuring after the semi rash decision I made a week ago. I always intended to upgrade to an Ethos set but not starting till next year and only one every few months at that. However, like Tom I saw the NEAF discount and couldn't resist. I actually thought I missed the NEAF discount but came across a thread over on CN about the Discount still in place at Hayneedle.com. Then someone posted a further 11% off Hayneedle Coupon. Then when I realised that the exchange rate has gone even more favourable since I last checked, well I couldn't resist and ordered the 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21 Ethos & 31mm Nagler. I seem to be very luck with Customs and Vat and if the order gets through unmolested I'm looking at 2200 Euro instead of the European price of 4500 euro for that lot. Even if I do get hit with it, 2700 as opposed to 4500 is still a stonking deal. I mean because they hold their value so well and they are a lifetime set so one can rationalise by amortizing the cost over the years and years you have them, well they aren't a bad investment. Kind of like the how the yearly cost of financing or ownership of a premium car like an audi or beemer often turns out to be less than a Ford when one includes things like depreciation in the calculations etc The icing on the cake however is that for the price I'll have gotten them for I could probably make a profit on them for the next few years at least should I need/want to sell them. Hey, I need to rationalise a 2200 spend on eyepieces OK :)

Theres no doubt that what initially attracted me to the Ethos is the Spacewalk effect but like you guys said, its comforting to know that one has one of the best corrected eyepieces on the market too. Its not all about the AFOV.

There is a similar arguement to be made about the paracorr. Its not just about the comet tails caused by coma near the outer portions of the FOV which may or may not bother some people. There is also the fact that the coma smears fainter stairs to invisibility. Aesthetically speaking, the denser the starfield in the FOV the better. I don't want to lose any of them stars to coma whether it be rendering them with comet tails or rendering them invisible.

What happens in both cases is that people make their purchase decision based on how they feel about the 'Headline' feature. Can they live with/without the 100º FOV, can they live with/without the comet tails. There are however other features of these devices that are overlooked by people when making their final purchase decision.

..... There are however other features of these devices that are overlooked by people when making their final purchase decision.

This is true - the ability of the Ethe to pick out faint moons or show planetary contrast slightly more easily than most other eyepieces has little to do with their large FoV.

I think this is what lies behind the Delos eyepiece concept - delivering the other Ethe attributes for those who don't need or prefer not to have the ultra wide FoV.

I can't see many feeling the need to own both Ethe and Delosses (what is the plural of Delos ?) though :)

Those Ethos must be excellent. I bought a nagler and radian in the sale. I find the 8mm radian (with 2x ultima barlow) fantastic for planets. My main eps were Meade 4000s which I think are pretty good but I tend to only use the nag and radian now. I compared the 11mm nag to a 10mm skywatcher and 9.7mm meade. Aside from the extra fov it seemed I could see so much more when looking at open clusters. Infact the nag compared to the old 10mm skywatcher was like looking at a different cluster. I'm tempted by the delos as the Ethos is just a bit out of my range.

Hi Tom

Beautiful aren't they - for me too its more about the contrast and sharpness than the extra wide field. With my scope 9the 12 inch f5 - I find the 13mm to be the sweet spot - its hust too narrow a field to be able tofind objects reliably buit it is my favourite general eyepiece for viewing most things.

It does indeed seem like the Delos will be the Ep of choice for those who want the other great attributes of the Ethos but aren't too bothered by the FOV. Apparently the Delos has better eye relief too. While that isn't an issue for me because I don't wear glasses, there is still the chance that I may end up with Delos. I haven't actually looked through an Ethos myself which is why I appreciate comparisons like the OP's. I am not under the seemingly common misconception that its too hard and uncomfortable to see the edge of the FOV in the Ethos. I know that one is not supposed to look for the edge. The whole point is in fact not to see the edge to give that spacewalk effect. However, I cannot rule out the fact that maybe some people just can't help themselves, and involuntarily scan the FOV with their eyes causing discomfort. If I am one of those people then perhaps I will end up selling my ethos (for a profit :) ) and replacing with Delos.

Why's that Olly? Your opinion always valued.

I love my 13mm Ethos, a much for the contrast as the fov. Will definitely keep an eye on the Delos to see how they are rated

All I can say is that I love my 13mm Ethos, never looked through another eyepiece with the same wow factor. Your best rewards come with a quality OTA - people need to remember about the other half of the telescope.

Ethos sounds , well , like its going to upset my better half. I thought my Nagler set would NEVER need replacing , just reading this thread is making me all weak at the wallet. Great way of loosing some weight , i'll tell her , no food for a few months ......!:D

(what is the plural of Delos ?) though :D

Delos is an adjective, and is used as masculine... So I'd say Deloi.

(but sounds weird for an italian as we don't declinate foreign words)

J!

Ethoi is probably the most commonly used plural of Ethos over on CN whether its right or wrong grammatically. Have to say I've been scratching my head every time I read the plural that seems to be used most on this forum, again whether its right or wrong grammatically, Ethe just....just sounds wrong :D

If my set of Ethoi/Ethe don't work out for me I'll be flogging them and getting myself a set of Del-boys :p

Ethoi is probably the most commonly used plural of Ethos over on CN whether its right or wrong grammatically. Have to say I've been scratching my head every time I read the plural that seems to be used most on this forum, again whether its right or wrong grammatically, Ethe just....just sounds wrong :p

If my set of Ethoi/Ethe don't work out for me I'll be flogging them and getting myself a set of Del-boys :(

Ethosusssses ? :D

John

Very helpful review, Tom, cheers :D I've been thinking about a 8mm Ethos to use in the Dob since getting this Nag 12T4, which I love. After reading that it's deffo on my shopping list.

Archived