SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trouble viewing DSOs

I have a "Konus Konusky 200 Motor" which is F/5 1000mm focal length and 200mm diameter mirror.

It isn't collimated, however with the supplied 10mm plossl eyepiece I can see M13 and M92 globular clusters in Hercules. Admitedly quite faint, but still quite recognisable and some stars are distinct within the fuzzy cluster.

So far so good.

However, that's the best I can do. I've tried hunting galaxies and nebula such as M66, M81, M82 and NGC7023 and I can't see a thing.

The sky was very clear but I am trying to observe these from my suburban back garden so there is some light pollution. I had adjusted my eyes and used red light only, and like I say, I could see the globular clusters well.

My question is, am I flogging a dead horse trying to observe such DSO's?

I found the globular clusters by eye through the finder scope, are the galaxies and nebulae much harder to see than clusters?

Cheers

Boz

Hi Boz

Your 8" scope is more than capable of showing M81,M82 even from Reading town centre.

M66 is a little fainter but still should be easy enough in an 8" scope.

NGC 7023 is not very well placed in the sky at the moment best to wait until late summer.

Regards Steve

That's good to know, I won't give up yet then. So am I using the right setup? Or is trying to locate with a 10mm eyepiece (effectively 100x) too tricky. Should I put my 26mm eyepiece in to locate first?

Also, what other DSOs are viewable with 8" reflectors in the suburbs?

Cheers

Boz

i can see M65 and M66 and i have a 4.5" newt...you should buy "turn left at orion" (£18 from amazon), if you have a finderscope learn how to use it, if not go out and buy one, it will really help

Use your lowest power eyepiece when searching for ALL DSO.

You should be able to locate most of the Messier list from your location.

I would start with that, as the Messier objects are amongst the brightest DSO.

Your 8" is a very capable Deep sky tool and will enable you to see a great number and variety of DSO.

IMO A Telrad is a great help locating DSO

Good hunting and clear skies.

Regards Steve

ps. Collimating your scope might be useful too.

Just to clarify, I have iPad and iPhone apps for star charts and also use a planisphere. I've got to know the constellations around polaris in the night time north sky quite well with binoculars. I also spend quite a bit of time aligning to polaris before observing.

So in terms of finding known stars I'm ok. The problem I have is moving between the known visible stars using RA and Dec. I look through the finderscope and telescope and everything is reversed, it really messes with my head.

I'll try the RA and Dec adjustments by locking onto a known star's location, and moving relatively. I can't seem to work out how to do that with my scope. The dials don't seem to be fitted properly and the dial spins loosely irrespective of the RA adjustment.

Cheers

Boz

To use setting circles on an equatorial mount first it must leveled and be accurately polar aligned.

TBH most setting circles are so small they are less than accurate

However one way is to find a star near the object you are looking for( preferably the same constellation).

check it's co-ordinates against a star atlas then rotate the RA setting circle to read the same as in the atlas.

Then look up the objects co-ordinates that you want to observe, move the scope until these co-ordinates are on the pointers of the setting circles, look in the finder and you should be on it.

As I said your mount must be accurately polar aligned.

Setting circles are IMO loads of messing about leveling and polar aligning when you could be observing.

If your scope is permanently housed in an observatory or used in exactly the same place each time ie. on a concrete pedestal then it's certainly worth doing.

If however you have to set it up differently each time then I wouldn't bother with trying to use them.

Regards Steve

Hi Boz

Your 8" scope is more than capable of showing M81,M82 even from Reading town centre.

M66 is a little fainter but still should be easy enough in an 8" scope.

NGC 7023 is not very well placed in the sky at the moment best to wait until late summer.

Regards Steve

Definitely agree with Steve. I have a 10" and always use my Panaview 32mm first to locate and centre and then use a 10mm eyepiece to observe.

Simon

Archived