1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

New scope at last!

Hi everyone have finally bought a new scope! After months of reading and asking questions!!! I bought a skywatcher skyliner 150 dob due to be delivered Tuesday next week and can't wait to tell u all how my first night goes!but till then can u all give me some info on if this scope is good wot will I be able to see as in planets and if any detail will be seen? Is this scope good enough for dso and will filters help? Thanx

Hi everyone have finally bought a new scope! After months of reading and asking questions!!! I bought a skywatcher skyliner 150 dob due to be delivered Tuesday next week and can't wait to tell u all how my first night goes!but till then can u all give me some info on if this scope is good wot will I be able to see as in planets and if any detail will be seen? Is this scope good enough for dso and will filters help? Thanx

I would think you will be able to see loads of DSO with your new scope. Use a big 30-40mm ep with a wide field of view for these. You should see Saturn nicely at the moment too try using a 6 - 10mm ep. The smaller you use the bigger it will appear but play around to get better sharpness at the loss of size. I think you will see the moons and some surface detail plus the shadow of the rings on the planet.

In deep space have a look for m51, m3, m81 & m82 as they are easy to find and quite bright and over head although m51 lesser so.

I wouldnt bother with filters at the moment. I have had a play with some and everything goes dark. Far nicer imho without filters for a beginner like me anyway.

You will have loads of fun matey i'm excited for you :)

Edited by mylatestwhim

I think I could see about 50 messiers with my 150p (plus other non messier DSO's) from a very badly light polluted balcony. As suggested above M3, M13, M51, M81, M82 and M27 are good ones to start on. M36, 37,38 and the eskimo nebula are also worth a look. Of course most DSO's are faint and it takes some time and practice. One of my favourite views with it was the veil nebula from a very dark site (with an Anaters filter). You should get some excellent views of Saturn/Jupiter and the moon too when the seeing is good. Loads to keep you going.

Edited by bish

Hi Mate,

First off congrats. on your new scope, bet your counting the hours off to Tuesday.

You don't say where you are, city centre, urban, village or dark sky location. Light polution will affect what you can see but like Mylatestwhim says there is plenty to see.

I have the same scope as yours but on an EQ mount and live in a moderately light poluted village and have had good views of Jupiter earlier in the year and am looking forward to it's return late. At present Satutn is the show stopper and will be around for a while longer yet. Then there are the items mentioned by Mylatestwhim.

Don't neglect our nearest neighbour, the moon, stunning the first time you see it, you may find you need a lunar filter to cut down the glare, it is really bright.

Don't forget to give us all a first light report.

Enjoy.

Another thing guys is this scope portable? Although my back garden should be good and it faces sw with no town or city with in 10 miles that way I would like to travel round the county with it?and wot would be some good accessories for the scope?

Another thing guys is this scope portable? Although my back garden should be good and it faces sw with no town or city with in 10 miles that way I would like to travel round the county with it?and wot would be some good accessories for the scope?

I have used my 8" dob all over the country just take it off the mount and what the tube on the back seats (I wrap mine in a sleeping bag) and put a couple of seat belts round it. Then whack the mount in the boot.

If you have a full car you should get the whole lot in the boot with careful packing and carefully placed padding. I did this on a recent trip to Scotland and it did both journeys with no collomation needed although I have an estate car.

treat it as the delicate scientific instrument that it is and you will be fine. :)

Hi,

Yes your scope is very portable, for my OTA I have a cricketer's bag fits in a treat. I just make sure it is well protected with several layers of bubble wrap.

The best thing I bought was a Telrad finder, makes finding objects much easier.

As you are getting a Dob why not join the Dobs user group on this forum.

All the best.

Edited by Astro Imp