Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Integrated flux at last...

ollypenrice

You've seen the base image before (L 8Hrs, colours 50mins each, binned, Ha 3.5 hours.) But last night I shot 13x20 minute luminance subs as well and with over 12 hrs of luminance it became possible to tease out the IFN. Needless to say, it is stil noisy!! Oh well. I was lucky with the subs, all being keepers.

To process the luminance I made three different stretches, Flux, mid range and galaxy cores. The Flux layer had a big dose of NeatImage.

Bigger version here; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Galaxies/9252479_2aSyr#1280625108_8nxMGpW-O-LB

Phew, at last!

Olly

Edit, I have put the tweaked version here for simplicity's sake.

m81%20m82%20ifn4-X3.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad image Olly....I think it needs just another 32 hours of luminance and you would have cracked it ;).

Brilliant capture sir! "Johann Elert Bode" himself could never have imagined a more perfect image! Sit back,have a fine glass of red and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done! :)

Thanks all. In fact M81 didn't pass muster on the French forum so I was kept in after school to do it again. Here we go. (Fair do's, it was a bit soft.) The thing is, I want to keep the European look in the image so I'm going easy on saturation and sharpening.

Olly

m81%20m82%20ifn3-X3.jpg

I just said something very rude out loud, which made the dog's ears stand up and certainly wouldn't get thru the boards swear filters!

Not a bad effort at all, Olly.

In fact, quite stunning! Well done and thanks for sharing. I'm tempted to retire Amy Pond as my wallpaper with that image, with your permission of course?

I just said something very rude out loud, which made the dog's ears stand up and certainly wouldn't get thru the boards swear filters!

Not a bad effort at all, Olly.

In fact, quite stunning! Well done and thanks for sharing. I'm tempted to retire Amy Pond as my wallpaper with that image, with your permission of course?

But of course! Woof!! (Or in French, Ouah, Ouah!)

Olly

Thanks all. In fact M81 didn't pass muster on the French forum so I was kept in after school to do it again. Here we go. (Fair do's, it was a bit soft.) The thing is, I want to keep the European look in the image so I'm going easy on saturation and sharpening.

Whats the European look? I wasn't aware that there are local fashion trends for image processing LOL.

Anyway that French forum must be crazy if they were not impressed with this image!

Lee

Whats the European look? I wasn't aware that there are local fashion trends for image processing LOL.

Anyway that French forum must be crazy if they were not impressed with this image!

Lee

They were nice about the pic on the French forum but one guy rightly pointed out that there was still something left in M81. I think the reprocess, (more contrast to emphasize the spiral arms) is an improvement.

As for processing styles, there is certainly an 'American look,' I think. For me it is characterized by hard sharpening, high contrast, deep colour (color!) saturation and high levels of noise reduction. I'm not knocking it, it just isn't what I'm after. What I aim for (I stress 'aim') is a softer, more natural look in which, even so, delicate resolution is maintained where the data makes it available. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Olly

Very subtle detail on the final rings near the core in M81. Any way to run additional lum on these for a longer to pull out these subtle details further? Maybe it's me imagining that you could perhaps get a little more detail without going longer FL?

As it's stands it's damn good :)

Very subtle detail on the final rings near the core in M81. Any way to run additional lum on these for a longer to pull out these subtle details further? Maybe it's me imagining that you could perhaps get a little more detail without going longer FL?

As it's stands it's damn good :)

The only things I can I can think of are dither guiding with drizzle stacking and Deconvolution. I have not used drizzle on deep sky and in AstroArt I can get no sense out of Deconvolution. I shoud buy Maxim. Talk me into it!

Olly

Archived