SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Up Close 10 x 50

Hi guys,

I just took delivery of a pair of the above and I'm slightly concerned about one thing.

They are porro prism binoculars and on the instructions which came with them, it tells me to focus the left eye, then when I've done that, to turn the right eyepiece in order to focus that one.

After that's done, the diopter has been set and different objects can be focused on in the normal manner.

The problem is, the left side of the binoculars has a strange rattle in it, the view through the left side seems a little cloudy, although that could just be because I can't get the left side in focus at all.

They were only 22 quid, are they something its worth opening up and sorting out? Does it sound like a simple problem?

Alan

Hi Alan. Are they new bins from a retailer ? If so, I think I'd get

an exchange/refund, even if they are inexpensive ones.

Nothing should rattle, perhaps a loose prism ? I'd only open them

up myself if you have no other option, nothing to lose as they don't

sound usable as is. Binocular collimation is harder than a telescope,

as there are two optical trains to get into agreement.

Good luck, Ed.

I have the 20x50 upClose binos, I thought mine had this problem, but its just quite difficult to fine tune them to get a focussed image, maybe you have the same issue? I found after a little practise there was nothing wrong with them :) As for the rattling I also had that noise when using the focuser but after using them several times I found it doesn't make this noise I think they just needed wearing in abit they are fairly well made for the price. If you continue to have no luck I've heard Celestron are good at replacing products so a replacement wouldn't be an issue. As for the method in the manual, I find it doesn't work for me, just systematically keep adjusting them till you get something better through them, the right lens from my understanding changes the balance between the two oculars to accomodate for different eyesights, if one is slightly different, so if one is cloudy its likely that its the lens on the right side that needs adjusting. Keep trying, if not then send for a replacement, but I had these intial thoughts when I got mine turned out it was all okay ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a closer look at them, one of the prism is definitely rattling around in there and the left barrel is so far out of alignment the exit pupil is up and to the left of centre.

I've emailed the amazon seller, to try to arrange an exchange, see what happens there I guess.

Alan

Archived