SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81+M82 computer sketch

Ursa Major

Hello,

I have had GIMP downloaded on my computer for quite a long time now but not done much with it (kind of forgot about it). But about a week ago I saw it mentioned in another thread and started playing with it. After much messing around with making people’s eyes different colours I had an idea that I could do some sketching of galaxies on it.

So over the weekend, I visited my grandparents who have a house with pretty much no light pollution with the Milky Way just about visible.

I took my scope and laptop out with a red filter over it to protect my night vision and found the pair of galaxies.

I started by plotting the stars. I sort of got lost. There were more faint stars to put in but it was a bit difficult putting them in accurately.

Then a marked the positions of the galaxies and started adding the all the detail I could see with the airbrush tool in shades of dark grey.

The good thing about using the computer is that you can get the brightness petty much spot on.

Anyway here it is. It’s probably a bit different from using pencil and paper but anyway, hope you like it.

post-25300-133877598804_thumb.jpg

Exellent sketch - that's exactly how they look in the eyepiece (says he, stating the obvious!!!). Very useful image to show those who are new to the hobby and don't really know what to expect from a smallish scope and a good dark sky.

I don't I would have the patience or warm steady hand to do that at the scope.

Good work and a very good representation of what can be expected at the scope, I know there are many people wanting to know what they can expect to see at their scope and this is a great way of letting them know.

Be warm and safe,

Neil

Exellent sketch - that's exactly how they look in the eyepiece (says he, stating the obvious!!!). Very useful image to show those who are new to the hobby and don't really know what to expect from a smallish scope and a good dark sky.

Exactly this :D

Excellent work, Laurie :p

Archived