Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about the fire. As has already been said, its great news that no one was hurt. Let us know any of your learning curves regarding insurance - most of my kit is kept in our summer house and I probably dont have many receipts for things. Time for me to review things a little more I think!

All the best,

Andrew

We had a (works) LABORATORY fire originating in a failed fridge, storing volatiles. Entering the (steel hut, explosion proof!) building was a bit like entering a black hole! But most of the SOOT layer - Originating from the (carbonised!) fridge lining proved (fairly) easily, albeit slowly, removable. DRY vacuuming removed the worst? :D

Edited by Macavity

Great to hear no one was hurt,Chin up butty dont let it get you down to much ,all the best........................kev

Hi Stephen.

Thats really bad news,but at least no one was hurt.If i were you i would try and take stock of what is undamaged.Then obviously move to a safe place.Make a list of all damaged components,including what you think may be savageable,but is still smoke damaged etc.

Total up what it would cost new to replace,as your insurance company will have a lot of questions,when you come to claim.Have all the answers ready,and dont be put off.

Check your policy to make sure what you are actually covered for.

Hope all goes well,and you will back up and running soon.

Mick.

OMG gutted for you. I think I would cry if anything happened to all my gear. At least it was contained and nobody was hurt.

I think with fire damage (or more smoke damage) most insurance companies will pay for replacement things.

I hope you get it sorted and get shiny new things.

Never heard of Polygon I'm afraid!

Are they any good?

The polygon engineer came out yesterday for an assessment and seemed a nice chap who knew what he was talking about. He doesnt want to touch the telescopes (not that i'd let him anyway!) when they come out next week to start the cleanup so its either getting them professionally cleaned or replaced- whicever is cheaper for the insurance company. The speed of the corrosion is rapid though!

Stephen

and if the lenses are anything like on EP's, as soon as you do anything cleaning wise they will never be as good as new, you will always cause some scratching to the lens coatings.