sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

20 x 50 bins

Just tried out 20 x 50 practika binoculars, as expected the FOV is quite narrow at 3.7 degrees.

Saturns ring is tiny but defined, but they will need a tripod. I really brought these for a forthcoming holiday and will use them during the day but they perform ok for night time use.

I expect the moon will be fairly impressive and Jupiters moons should be clearer (but dimmer) to see.

Does anyone else own a pair with similar mag verses aperture, and what do you use them for?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same format bins 20x50s, mine are celestron made, fairly cheap you could say. I've had great fun with mine, although I'm aiming for the usual targets at the moment, the moon and Saturn (Which I was shocked to see if focussed very gently, the ring is clearly visible!). I'm going to try and look out for a few of the brighter objects tonight, M3 and M51, as they are fairly easy to find with a very limited viewable magnitude where I live. I think with Binos you are forced to really plan ahead a evening of observations, well I have found this to be the case, finding these objects sometimes is difficult, will probably be sitting outside with the laptop and Stellarium loaded and ready. I found I can still see many more stars than with the eye ;) I guess they are most suited to find your way around the constellations and viewing the brighter objects in the sky. I was suprised to see that my 50mm aperture out performed my friends old 76mm in clarity on the moon ;) Well I hope something here was helpful.

Abit off topic - I notice you have a SW 130p Flexitube, how is it? :eek:

Karlos, - the flexitube works quite well for me at present. I upgraded the mount to a Goto for the finding and tracking abilities and haven't looked back since. I've suddenly found many more faint fuzzies than before and it has tracked Saturn at well over 400x mag. This is of course beyond its real limits but I have been very pleased. The heritage is an excellent scope and I would recommend it to anyone. I'm taking it to France next weekend, I'll just put it on the old dobson base.

Stargazing Cliff, - I returned them for a refund. The field of view was too small. Better to have 7 x 50 or 10 x 50! But like Karlos said they are very good on the moon, ( but not as good as my scope!) Perhaps 15 x 70 would be a better option.