SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just ordered my first scope - need some help to

Hi everyone

After much deliberation and with some help and advice from users of this site I have ordered my first scope.

Skywathcer Skyliner 8" Dobsonian (£275 delivered from Camera Centre, Burnley)

Like a kid at xmas now but in anticipation of its arrival I'm already looking at bits and bobs that I'm going to need (want) to bling the scope up a little.

1. Eyepieces - Think I've read everything I can find on this site about eyepieces but still feel a little blinded by the science. Can anyone recommend a good (reasonably price) eye piece for enhanced deep-sky viewing and one for planetary viewing.

2. Red-dot sight / Telrad / colimators ? again, a little lost with which to get. Any recommendations.

3. Filters. Would like a moon filter but have seen a variety of other colours. Can anyone recommend a good moon filter and would I need any of the coloured ones.

I really would appreciate anyones help and advice. I'm new to the hobby and worried that without the right guidance I'll end up spending money on things that I dont need/aren't good value for money/not suitable for my needs.

Kind Regards

Priceman

Hello,

Congrats on your purchase,

I wouldnt worry about any accesories for the time being, see how you get on with the standard kit and then see where you have gaps.

Collimator is a good first purchase

Moon filter is useful but i find coloured filters have a very limited use and i dont know that many people who use them.

For eyepeices, i feel that BST explorers are probably the best value eyepieces that money can buy at the moment and they are very well regarded.

All the best

Hi Priceman

Congratulations on the new scope. It will give you many years of enjoyable observing.

IMO I would hold fire on buying eyepieces until you've used your scope a while.

Once you have used it a while you will be more Knowledgeable as to which eyepiece/s would serve your observing style best.

A Telrad is a worthy addition on any Dob IMO.

As for collimators I have had mine so long I'll be damned if I can remember the make. Sure someone else will help on this one.

Colour Filters are something a planetary observer can advise you on best.

Deep sky filters I would recommend the OIII and UHC, both work very well although neither would be an accessory that a beginner needs.

I would recommend a good star atlas such as "Nortons" or "Sky atlas 2000". Either would be a great accessory with a Dob.

Regards Steve

You will need a collimator but other than that like cgolder said enjoy your scope for a while before you spend more money, a little experience goes a long way to helping you make good choices

I would agree with the advice to just try it as it is for a while.

But to try and answer your questions my own advice would be...

1) Eyepieces - a 32mm for widefield (mine is a GSO Revelation plossl which cost about £35). For planetary, I tend to use either my 9mm, or on good nights my 6.4mm, sometimes with a 2x barlow.

2) Red dot finder - a simple one cost £25 and replaced my 9x50 finderscope, which I found confusing to use.

I've had my 200P dob for just over 18 months and it's only now that I've finally decided it needs collimating :eek:. When they're back in stock I plan to spend another £25 and get a 'Colli-mate deluxe' Astro Engineering AC656 Colli-Mate Deluxe eyepiece for collimating Newtonian and other telescopes

3) A simple Moon filter cost me about £10 and makes a big difference on those bright nights! I've also got an OIII filter which gave lovely views of the Veil Nebula last year, but doesn't get much use to be honest, so I would agree with Swamp Thing on that one. I don't have any coloured filters,and don't really plan on getting any.

It really all depends on what you want to spend and what is available. Some prefer Televue eyepieces, or the BST Explorers, or the Baader Hyperions (which I've started collecting); Telrads are popular but I'm not keen on them; some prefer laser collimators, but I think I'd like the colli-mate.

Blimey, it is confusing :)

Best of luck ;)

Get yourself a simple low cost 'find it' kit:

- Stellarium - free

- Green laser pointer - cheap these days - Green Laser Pointers, Green Laser, Smart Laser Pointers on sale and 7dayshop.com - Online Store

- Adjustable mount for the laser - available from most astro dealers

- A basic set of bins 10x50 or 7x50 if you have young eyes

Fit the laser to your dob, put a small tie wrap on the laser near the on/off switch, just slide it up and down to switch on, align the laser using a bright star.

If you aren't already get familiar with the sky via Stellarium

Locate regions of interest using the bins, drag the laser on to the area you have in the bin view, switch off the laser before looking through the EP.

Using this approach really makes an evening with a dob come alive (especially in our light polluted skies).

Nice purchase - congrats!

You'll need a decent collimator to start with. What you really need to do though is to join a local astro soc or observing group and spend some sessions out with them.

You'll learn a lot about what people do with their scopes, what they look at, what accessories help. And you'll get to try out other scopes and different ep's so you get an idea of what you want to get eventually.

Otherwise - just enjoy what you have for the time being - the supplied ep's are fine to get you going - if you haven't allready then download Stellarium and/or Cartes du Ciel to help you round the night sky :)

Wow! Nice first scope to get your hands on! Enjoy!

Hi everyone

After much deliberation and with some help and advice from users of this site I have ordered my first scope.

Skywathcer Skyliner 8" Dobsonian (£275 delivered from Camera Centre, Burnley)

Like a kid at xmas now but in anticipation of its arrival I'm already looking at bits and bobs that I'm going to need (want) to bling the scope up a little.

1. Eyepieces - Think I've read everything I can find on this site about eyepieces but still feel a little blinded by the science. Can anyone recommend a good (reasonably price) eye piece for enhanced deep-sky viewing and one for planetary viewing.

2. Red-dot sight / Telrad / colimators ? again, a little lost with which to get. Any recommendations.

3. Filters. Would like a moon filter but have seen a variety of other colours. Can anyone recommend a good moon filter and would I need any of the coloured ones.

I really would appreciate anyones help and advice. I'm new to the hobby and worried that without the right guidance I'll end up spending money on things that I dont need/aren't good value for money/not suitable for my needs.

Kind Regards

Priceman

With regards to eyepieces, the old motto "try before you buy" would be my recommendation. To that end brantuck's suggestion of getting yourself along to your local astro club/observing group would be where you could start this research and as you've got some kit nice kit it will more fun try it out in the company of experienced observers who can help advise on other gear.

Clear skies and good seeing!

James

Nice bit of kit for your first 'scope, congrats :) Hope you get clear skies soon for 1st light !

EP-wise I'd be tempted not to buy anything for now and just use what came with the 'scope. With eyepiece time under your belt you'll know what needs replacing, or if there's a gap that needs filling.

Same goes for the Telrad, see how you get on with the standard finder-scope first and get the collimator when you're ready to start collimating.

You can't go far wrong with Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas for use at the 'scope.

The only "must have" filter is a neutral density lunar.

HTH ;)

I think I'm pretty in line with Twotter here, except I would put the red dot (or telrad!!!) finder on top of the list. I would also say that you should take some time learning to use what you have.

There will be tons to do and lots to learn, but trust me, that new scope will deliver super impressive views right off the bat. If you don't have the cash for a moon filter, you can make an aperture mask - a scope cover with an off-center hole that restricts the amount of light that gets in - it makes the moon less glaring and sharpens the contrast somewhat. That accessory costs nothing!

The other "Cheap as Free" option, is to trundle off to visit the local club after you have your new baby... join them for an open observers night and see what kit the other folks have. They will certainly let you have a go with their gear, and you will see more accessories than you can shake a stick at. It's always fun and helpful to 'ask the man who owns one' and 'try it before you buy it.'

Good luck, and be sure to post a photo of your new scope!!!

Dan

I would agree with the advice to just try it as it is for a while.

But to try and answer your questions my own advice would be...

1) Eyepieces - a 32mm for widefield (mine is a GSO Revelation plossl which cost about £35). For planetary, I tend to use either my 9mm, or on good nights my 6.4mm, sometimes with a 2x barlow.

2) Red dot finder - a simple one cost £25 and replaced my 9x50 finderscope, which I found confusing to use.

I've had my 200P dob for just over 18 months and it's only now that I've finally decided it needs collimating :eek:. When they're back in stock I plan to spend another £25 and get a 'Colli-mate deluxe' Astro Engineering AC656 Colli-Mate Deluxe eyepiece for collimating Newtonian and other telescopes

3) A simple Moon filter cost me about £10 and makes a big difference on those bright nights! I've also got an OIII filter which gave lovely views of the Veil Nebula last year, but doesn't get much use to be honest, so I would agree with Swamp Thing on that one. I don't have any coloured filters,and don't really plan on getting any.

It really all depends on what you want to spend and what is available. Some prefer Televue eyepieces, or the BST Explorers, or the Baader Hyperions (which I've started collecting); Telrads are popular but I'm not keen on them; some prefer laser collimators, but I think I'd like the colli-mate.

Blimey, it is confusing :)

Best of luck ;)

Archived