Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

eq3 synscan guiding

rowan46

has anyone been able to get this mount to guide yet if so how? I am aiming for a c5 with finder guider on an eq3 synscan. and maybe 2 lx modded webcams. not potw equipment but I'm hoping enough to get some product is this realistic? I need portable and cheap. I can't think of anything cheaper as I already have the c5 and the only thing more portable is astrotrac, which is out of my price range, (By the time I have got all the extras for it). The eq5, cg5 is not portable enough for a back pack as the aim is that when I go camping I can stick it in a backpack and go somewhere darker for a couple of pics. A trolley late at night off road doesn't really seem feasible as I don't really fancy lifting the thing at dead of night over stiles

Not yet using the guideport anyway but I haven't tried it using EQMod... Think SW's first attempt at fixing it wa a bit of a disaster and nothing else heard :)

I'm still just using it as an cheaper astrotrac alternative for widefield and its very good for that...

TBH, I don't think it will be suitable for such a long focal length. You also mentioned putting it all into a backpack. Remember you will need to power it with 12VDC, so even a small 20Ah bat is going to be very heavy, with all your other equipment.

What are you looking at imaging?

the usual beginners stuff mainly brighter m numbers I was hoping that an fr of 3.3 would get me something. I already carry a nexstar 5 on my back the eq3 is not much heavier and I usually carry the powerpack in my hand anyway

Edited by rowan46

I will hopefully be trying out my EQ3 Pro tonight at guiding. I have previously, but in PC direct mode. Tonight, if it clears, I will be trying it with EQMOD, and the EQDIR adapter. I will report how it goes, but I am only going to be imaging at a max of 200mm FL.

I honestly think the DEC guide problem lies in the amount of backlash in the mount. (besides the previous motor controller problem), but here's to hoping it all works OK. Otherwise, I will be aligning as best as I can, and only guiding in RA.

Here's to hoping. Will let you know how it goes.

why not just do 30 sec exposures on the SE mount? if you pick ur targets low in the east or west ur get some decent pictures

because its not an se mount its the old nexstar 5 you can't adjust the balance on the tube if you put a camera on it the tracking goes to hell its fine for visual but this old timer can't do anything above 5 secs with a camera on it, I can get planets and moon bit I want to get a few m's

I will hopefully be trying out my EQ3 Pro tonight at guiding. I have previously, but in PC direct mode. Tonight, if it clears, I will be trying it with EQMOD, and the EQDIR adapter. I will report how it goes, but I am only going to be imaging at a max of 200mm FL.

I honestly think the DEC guide problem lies in the amount of backlash in the mount. (besides the previous motor controller problem), but here's to hoping it all works OK. Otherwise, I will be aligning as best as I can, and only guiding in RA.

Here's to hoping. Will let you know how it goes.

thanks for that I will be interested to hear how it goes:D a bit of an understatement really actually if I could get 30secs and stack that may be doable