Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mystery Cluster

I'm visiting my sister in North Wales at the mo. We drove up a mountain Saturday night to do a little bino viewing which was rather difficult due to winds gusting to around 60 mph but we still had a good time.

Whilst up there I noticed, with the naked eye what appeared to be a large cluster of stars near Ursa Major. Through my 15x70 revelations it fills the FOV. They are not as closely grouped as the 'Beehive.' Position wise if you were to turn Ursa Major approx 90 degrees clockwise pivoting on the end of the 'handle' it is near where the end of the 'pan' would be.

Is this an named star cluster or just a close grouping of stars. Back home in Essex I can't see this due to LP. I shall be looking for it in the binos though.

Ah, it's Berenice's Hair, aka Melotte 111. It's what gives the constellation (Coma Berenices) its name. Berenice chopped off her hair and dedicated it to Aphrodite to ensure her husband's safe return from war. It was stolen, but ended up in the sky.

Also, in Mesopotamian mythology it's Thisbe's veil, that she dropped when she fled from the Lion.

You can also check in Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel, entering your location and time of day, should he able to know exactly what's around there. That's what I did after I observed a double star near Vega - turns out it's famous.

Ah, it's Berenice's Hair, aka Melotte 111. It's what gives the constellation (Coma Berenices) its name. Berenice chopped off her hair and dedicated it to Aphrodite to ensure her husband's safe return from war. It was stolen, but ended up in the sky.

Also, in Mesopotamian mythology it's Thisbe's veil, that she dropped when she fled from the Lion.

Thanks tetenterre. I have only ever heard it refered to as Melotte 111. The mythology brings it to life. :D

Archived